frequency to change hydro oil / filter but only average 70 hrs a year? Still yearly?

RCountry2

Threads
  • / frequency to change hydro oil / filter but only average 70 hrs a year? Still yearly?
Hi all, That time again for breaking out my 2011 SE 27/60. I know the manual states 1000 hours or annually. Now all I'll about preventive maintenance but also don't like to waste money. Should I still change yearly even though low hours or what? Thanks

Honda Tech

Threads
  • / frequency to change hydro oil / filter but only average 70 hrs a year? Still yearly?
The most important hydro fluid/filter service is the very first one. I would not abide by their 1000 hr service interval. That is biting them in the butt now. After you first recommended service, 500 hrs max., but since your running less than 100 hrs per year, it certainly wouldn't hurt to change it every 3 years.

Happy Mowing!

RCountry2

Threads
ok thanks.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
There's also the school of thought that the less you service your hydros the better, the reason being the chance of introducing dust/dirt/debris during the service. Frequent service could end up doing more hard than good, so I wouldn't overdo it.

RCountry2

Threads
There's also the school of thought that the less you service your hydros the better, the reason being the chance of introducing dust/dirt/debris during the service. Frequent service could end up doing more hard than good, so I wouldn't overdo it.

Never thought about it that way.

cruzenmike

Threads
My Exmark manual said at 250 hours and every year after. With only 50 hours of use per year it worked out to going 5 season without servicing it. Spending an extra $60 for filter and oil at the start of each season thereafter is steep; but I do it anyway. I am also an idiot and buy only genuine Briggs and Exmark parts for my mower and usually do a full tune up each season. But hey, after 12 seasons of use it still runs great. This year I went a little further and decided to replace all of the fuel lines, fuel pump and fuel shutoff.

Sidetracked.... Anyway, the two main issues with maintaining hydraulic systems is the introduction of contamination and air pockets in the pumps creating cavitation. I'm always careful to do exactly as the manual says. You don't ever want to drain the system unless it is necessary to do a repair. And you must always thoroughly clean the areas around your filter, the filler cap and anywhere else your system is being opened prior to beginning your service.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The first service is just a ploy to get more money/profit....

RCountry2

Threads

Thought that it would be to remove the metal particles and contaminants from the initial break-in and and of course the crap that gets in the system during installation....and of course more money as you stated.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Exmark manual said at 250 hours and every year after. With only 50 hours of use per year it worked out to going 5 season without servicing it. Spending an extra $60 for filter and oil at the start of each season thereafter is steep; but I do it anyway. I am also an idiot and buy only genuine Briggs and Exmark parts for my mower and usually do a full tune up each season. But hey, after 12 seasons of use it still runs great. This year I went a little further and decided to replace all of the fuel lines, fuel pump and fuel shutoff.

Sidetracked.... Anyway, the two main issues with maintaining hydraulic systems is the introduction of contamination and air pockets in the pumps creating cavitation. I'm always careful to do exactly as the manual says. You don't ever want to drain the system unless it is necessary to do a repair. And you must always thoroughly clean the areas around your filter, the filler cap and anywhere else your system is being opened prior to beginning your service.

Wait, what? So you don't drain and change the oil? Isn't that the point of servicing the transaxles?

Honda Tech

Threads

You seem to have certifications for everything but hydraulics. I can tell you this, I wouldn't see as many hydro failures under 300 hours if that first service was performed! But if you want to leave the contaminants in the system until it prematurely failed and then blame it on the system, go ahead. It's not my dime.