frequency to change hydro oil / filter but only average 70 hrs a year? Still yearly?

EricC

Threads
  • / frequency to change hydro oil / filter but only average 70 hrs a year? Still yearly?
i'll be changing mine this spring. Almost to the 80hr mark and i always blow my leaves under my pine trees in the fall. My maples drop them late and it got cold fast last year and stayed, so I just removed battery treated gas tank and called it a season. I'd rather have changed fluids before storage, but winter seemed to come fast and stay. Anyway I was hoping to change it on a nice weekend in March, but considering it's still single digits right now, who knows when. just picked up the Hydro oil and filters off amazon. I don't plan on changing every season if fluids look ok, outside of engine oil.

RCountry2

Threads
  • / frequency to change hydro oil / filter but only average 70 hrs a year? Still yearly?
Well crap...I was hoping to change my oil yesterday with the syn oil I go but guess what? Drove it around the house 2 days ago to make sure everything works still and noticed would not run unless choke was 1/4 way out. Figured trash in carb and I needed to remove bowl and clean it. Next I I tried it again but would not run at all but would sputter with starter fluid so cleaned it with same results. Checked fuel pump and pressure was 1.3 to carb. Thought I my have to remove and rebuild it but was unable to find a kit (Generac 0G4610 Carburetor 0F93380SR) was about to buy a new one when I decided to check the fuel cut off valve and glad I did as its dead. Guess when I was running with choke 1/4 out it was not opening all the way and the next day when I went to crank it it died completely.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On late models carbs ALL of the fuel passes through the main jet so the shut off solenoid shuts all of the fuel off.\

On earlier carbs the idle fuel pick up was independent of the main jet so it will suck fuel when the solenoid is closed.
But only enough to run at idle or with the choke partially closed.

jp1961

Threads
You live in Georgia, so this may not be a problem, but I've actually had hydrostatic fluid on my Kubota freeze due to condensation in the oil. It takes several fluid changes to get the water out.

My hydro oil filter actually froze in single digit temps and expand the filter housing like a frozen pop can.

Not sure why I live in Michigan,,,LOL

Regards

Jeff

DK35vince

Threads
You live in Georgia, so this may not be a problem, but I've actually had hydrostatic fluid on my Kubota freeze due to condensation in the oil. It takes several fluid changes to get the water out.

My hydro oil filter actually froze in single digit temps and expand the filter housing like a frozen pop can.

Regards

Jeff
With that much condensation you must never run long enough to get the oil up to temperature to cook it out.
A lot of short run times and never getting the oil hot is the only thing I know could cause that much condensation build up.
Do you park it outside in the elements ??

Can't say I have ever had condensation buildup to where it could be noticed in any tractor or mower I have ever owned.
I change the hydraulic oil in my zero turn every 250 hours (around every 5 years)
My tractor get the hydraulic oil changed every 800 hours ( around every 8 years)
Oil always still looks fine. No water or condensation. (stored in unheated pole barn)

jp1961

Threads
I run my Kubota about an hour (for each mowing) during the summer months months, but the hydraulic fluid looked like milk, I can assure you.
I mean I'd think water was leaking into the system, but how?,,,got to be condensation.

It is stored outside.

jp1961

Threads
Here's a pic

Attachments

• DSC00103 (6).jpg
    DSC00103 (6).jpg
    158 KB · Views: 19

RCountry2

Threads

Regards

Jeff

Once and a blue moon (few years really) we will have a cold spell where it might stay somewhere around 17 or so a day or two but that's usually about it.Heck this we skipped winter and started spring in mid Feb...I don't think it even got in the 20's this year and no ice or snow..

DK35vince

Threads
I run my Kubota about an hour (for each mowing) during the summer months months, but the hydraulic fluid looked like milk, I can assure you.
I mean I'd think water was leaking into the system, but how?,,,got to be condensation.

It is stored outside.
Stored outside.
Rain water is getting into the system to cause that amount of water.

Last edited:

Hugeroost

Threads
Ok. Bert goes into detail about how important it is to not introduce contamination into the system during service and the lengths he goes to in order to prevent it. That was my main point here - that servicing them could actually do more harm than good and why mine don't get serviced unless necessary. Different strokes for different folks. :smile:

man I have an 05 Flatlander, paid 11k for it way back then, just a 54in. I mow 40 acres a month with it, 10 a week, SE Texas, use it year round and take good care of it, and have never changed my hydrolic fluid, and never had a problem. Now engine oil, thats a different thing, i change it as soon as it starts to turn, Kohler Pro 27hp w factor header, never had a problem w it either. Has anybody discovered a machine yet that stacks up to the Chopper, I was told by a dealer up where my ranch is to NEVER get rid o mine, i said why, he said the ones like mine were the shyt, the newer ones were not near as good as what i have. Its mind boggling what this thing has done and never had one single problem, i'd put it up against anything out there right now that i have seen. I do understand that Hustler is a big player and that same dealer told me that was the closest thing to my Chopper, but hell what could happen to mine that i couldnt fix fairly easy. Is there anything on it that is only made by Dixie Chopper ? i dont think so...Roost