hrb216txa harmony high idle/revving

graaar51

Threads
First off I am still learning small engines and not sure what everything is. Sorry guys.

I got a old Honda passed down to me that has had some problems. At first it was surging. Bought a new carb and installed, changed plug, oil, and filter, and gas. The surging went away but now it idles extremely high and loud like its on clutch the whole time. Does not respond to idle control until I want to turn it off. However it does respond to the throttle control when the blades are spinning. Springs seem to be working okay but the gov. arm doesn't move much when I change the idle at the control.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also the butterfly valve on top of the carb does not move when changing throttle at control.

What are some of the things I should check? Thanks guys.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:
Usually an engine that runs too fast every where and does not pulsate at higher revs will either have a loose governor or a slipped throttle cable.

So you can try loosening the throttle cable clamp and moving it a little to the left in your photos.
Or go to You Tube and watch some videos about adjusting the governor on Honda GXV engines.
Following written instructions is a bit confusing but once you see it done, it is dead easy to understand or do.
There are a lot of sites various people on here like to flog.
I like Taryl Fixes all & Donny Boy.
Boo has his favourites as does Boux and they generally will post direct links to them.

graaar51

Threads
:welcome:
Usually an engine that runs too fast every where and does not pulsate at higher revs will either have a loose governor or a slipped throttle cable.

So you can try loosening the throttle cable clamp and moving it a little to the left in your photos.
Or go to You Tube and watch some videos about adjusting the governor on Honda GXV engines.
Following written instructions is a bit confusing but once you see it done, it is dead easy to understand or do.
There are a lot of sites various people on here like to flog.
I like Taryl Fixes all & Donny Boy.
Boo has his favourites as does Boux and they generally will post direct links to them.

Thanks I will check them out. I was just confused why I couldn't control rpms at idle but I could while the blades were spinning.

Honda Tech

Threads
First off I am still learning small engines and not sure what everything is. Sorry guys.

I got a old Honda passed down to me that has had some problems. At first it was surging. Bought a new carb and installed, changed plug, oil, and filter, and gas. The surging went away but now it idles extremely high and loud like its on clutch the whole time. Does not respond to idle control until I want to turn it off. However it does respond to the throttle control when the blades are spinning. Springs seem to be working okay but the gov. arm doesn't move much when I change the idle at the control.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also the butterfly valve on top of the carb does not move when changing throttle at control.

What are some of the things I should check? Thanks guys.

You have several issues. Need to first replace the governor spring. It has been 'tweeked' and is most of the problem. Throttle link is in the wrong hole in the carburetor. Swap the positions of the link and anti-surge spring. Lastly, throttle cable is to be routed through the top of the cable clamp, not bottom.

See attachment.

Good Luck!

Attachments

• ml.repaw05a.PTB53404.pdf
    200.2 KB · Views: 3

graaar51

Threads
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I will update you after I do what you suggested.

Honda Tech

Threads
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I will update you after I do what you suggested.

Good Luck! Just let me know if you need any additional info.

graaar51

Threads
I got to work on it today and found that I need new gaskets. The ones on the choke side and the air filter are good but the ones on the other side of the carb are in rough shape along with the insulator. I have to wait a couple of days for them to come in the mail from amazon and made sure I got the ones that are direct from Honda. I bought the kit that comes with the insulator, insulator gasket and some carb gaskets (air guide gaskets) on that side. I went ahead and replaced the governor spring and the breather tube that was torn which could be part of the problem I assume.

Once I install the gaskets I will update you on how its doing.

Thanks.