What is full crank and does it matter?

cruzenmike

Threads
Getting off topic a little but most new gear runs slower than what it replaced.
You can thank the EPA for that as emissions are a fixed amount measured at operation speeds.
The better ones specify it be under load & the poorer written ones allow the reading to happen without load.
Also emission restrictions mean the engines have to run leaner and lean = lots of speed but no power.
I always believed that new riders / drivers should be made to learn on old manual vehicles where you have to do everything , including control the timing.
It is amazing just how much more power comes on line from dropping the spark back a few degrees.
Now days it is all done by computers so the driver never learns basic engine management.

Then again very soon it will all be electric so maybe I should go reside with the rest of the extinct species at the local museum.

A couple of comments:

Yes, all new drivers should learn on a stick shift. Problem is, they are becoming a thing of the past. It's a shame too because young drivers are so connected to their phones and texting and driving becomes a lot more difficult when one hand is on the wheel and the other is on the stick.

I cannot comment on emissions as I have spent half of my career ensuring environmental compliance for my employer. Keeping the air clean is a good thing, but the internal combustion engine is a dirty inefficient thing.

And as a side note, my step dad has some old motorcycles that have the spark advance on the handlebars. Back in the days when your clutch was a peddle and the shifter was a handle on the side of the tank. Most people today couldn't even ride something like that!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not treating the air we breathe or the water we drink or fish in as a sewer is a good idea, there is no arguement about that.
However you can actually do something that works, like in my case, fit various meters on the flue gasses on the furnaces.
That made a difference & eventually what we discharged into the atmosphere was cleaner than the air we feed into the burners.
As we burned around 200 gallons of bunker oil a day, that was an excellent idea.
So we were burning a waste product and also cleaning the air at the same time .
Then some pencil dick at the EPA decided that bunker oil was "too dirty" to be burned in the Sydney basin so we converted to natural gas burners.
Because we were burning "clean gas" all of the meters with the exception of the obscuration meters were removed.
Apparently pollution is only pollution is you can see it.

The foundry was around 2 miles from Sydney's Mascot airport.
The air we fed into the burners regularly had better than 3% jet A1 from the take off & landings.
This made profiling the burners a real PIA and regularly was heavy enough to make heavy black smoke.
To compensate for the fuel rich air the burners ran very lean which resulted in a high concentration of nitrates, but that was OK cause you could not see them.

Power stations, ships, trains , aeroplanes , furnaces, heavy trucks & perhaps even metropolitan delivery vehicles, these things make a real difference all the rest is basically bull dust done to make it look like oyxgen thieves are doing their job.

All of the lean burn small engines actually creates a lot more pollution than it restricts if you take embedded pollution in the manufacture & distribution of short life span domestic appliances into account.
But that is way too hard to calculate, much easier to shove a meter up an exhaust pipe, pat yourself on the back and walk away considering the job done.

cruzenmike

Threads
Which one is the one with the throttle cable slipping? If it's the SS26, the issue is a warped throttle trigger housing. You can buy both sides of the housing brand new for $6.85 on Amazon. It also comes with a clip to help hold the cable in when the new part warps.

Part number is 308869002.

As far as I know, you can not buy a new power head for $6.85.

I think for the time being this is what I am going to do. I have addressed my issue of having a curved shaft by picking up a straight shaft trimmer (see link below) on clearance for only $18 (normally $70). I do not need the electric power head but the trimmer itself will work with my power head. I am going to order the replacement parts to fix my trimmer throttle and get a new spark plug while I am at it (never been replaced in 9 years).

Thanks to everyone for the help. If for some reason this power head ends up dying down the road I will likely end up getting into a different multi-tool system, but for now I will just save the money.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1...e+info}+qu:{ryobi+electric+string+trimmer}:qu