Gravely Compact Pro 34-CE, diode function?

Clarettes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Totally don't understand what I can't find something that simple as a diode. Should be a custom marking, never see this. Even if it is UPM and not UMP, no luck.
We need to find a a diagram and estimate requirements of the diode, so you can replace it.

Is this your schematic ?
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...8-041000-049999-compact-pro-34/wiring-diagram

Is your diode in the middle, connected to a yellow/red and red/violet wires ?

The common problem is that those diodes have been probably taken in production from anywhere to get them cheapest... To put any 8A DO-41 packaged instead, would it be ok?

That is the exact wiring diagram and my diode in the middle.

Mkala

Threads
Probably the reason....

The package is way bigger than a DO-41 I think. If you can measrue body diameter and lenght we can define the package ?

I searched a bit but it's not common to find a 8A diode in a round package, they a more in TO-220 style (you can use this style too if you want).
But the current should not be that high, it just has to maintain the run relay and the fuel solenoid. But, as they are inductive load the back EMF voltage can be very high ! I suspect the diode to be a 800V (80 in the name).
Tell me which diode you plan to buy from a convenient source for you, and we will try to estimate if it can works. You should be able to find min 3A and min 500V diodes quite easily in this package.

By the way if I understand the schematic correctly, it should run without diode :
- You need to have PTO disengaged
- You have to be on the seat
- You have to apply the brake
=> with all three conditions the engine should crank and start.

With the diode, this allow you to leave the seat with PTO OFF and brake ON.

With a wire in replacement of the diode, this is not that good because you can start the engine with PTO engaged and no brake, if you are on the seat.

Clarettes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Probably the reason....

You should be able to find min 3A and min 500V diodes quite easily in this package.

Thank's, your support is very valuable. I will take a timeout now, my supplier told me that he has ordered this part from Gravely (?) and it should come early next week. In the meanwhile I will try to find the 3A/500V from a local electronics repair shop.

In any case I make an update on this when I have found a solution.

Thank's again!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the failed one with you.
Chances they will recognise it.
And just to be sure, did you actually check the diode was defective ?

Mkala

Threads
Thank's, your support is very valuable. I will take a timeout now, my supplier told me that he has ordered this part from Gravely (?) and it should come early next week. In the meanwhile I will try to find the 3A/500V from a local electronics repair shop.

In any case I make an update on this when I have found a solution.

Thank's again!

You are welcome ;)

Fine, interested to see how it goes, keep us posted ;)