Another New Member Looking To Buy MY First Zero Turn

Blue-Grass

Forum Newbie
Threads
After reading this forum the past few nights I decided to become a member and access the wealth of
knowledge that I see being shared here. As the title suggests,, I am looking into buying my first zero turn
and have somewhat narrowed my choices down to a few manufacturers based on being a reasonable distance
from where I live and not being a box store. My local brands include:

Ferris, Toro, Exmark and Harqvarna (sorry Deere John, but you've left me wrenching more then mowing)

I would categorize my mowing machine requirement to fall into the middle weight category.
3 acres / 98% flat n rolling / 2% pitched along a ditch / one corner wet in the spring and after heavy rains.
Many obstacles to maneuver around like trees, garden beds, trees, out buildings and more trees.

I favor a machine that has a fabricated 48 - 54 inch deck, 2800-3100 transmission, Kawasaki Engine but wouldn't
shy away from other brands that have a solid reputation. When it comes to budget I'm at a slightly flexible $4,000
and just like most post I've read on here, I'd prefer to be south of that number than north. But some of the quality
features I've listing will make that a challenge.

With all that said, what proven models do each of these manufactures have that fit the bill?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check out the Exmark Quest S series 50 inch cut. MSRP is $4,500. They recently upgraded the Quest mowers, getting rid of the wimpy HG2100 transmission and replacing it with the 2800. Some other upgrades too. Engines on the lower models are proprietary Exmark engines now, made by Loncin. They appear to be pretty good engines. Same deal with Toro. Love my Exmarks!

cruzenmike

Threads
Ferris 400S. It is priced close to your budget, has an option of a Kawasaki engine, 2800's, fabricated deck and even some suspension to help for those little bumps and dips in the yard. Ferris is a company that only makes commercial mowers and builds very sturdy equipment. They also have decent warranties.

Blue-Grass

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the quick feedback guys. Much appreciated.

I did have a chance to talk on the phone with my local Ferris dealer today regarding the 400S. Very nice machine but the initial conversation
was a little disenchanting. The base model 400S is a 44" BnS engine that has an MSRP of $4299. When I bump up to the 48" deck and Kawi motor
its at $4960. I inquired about a cash out the door price in comparison to the list price and was told, that is the price. I may take another swing at
the price discussion in person when they hold their Ferris open house (weather pending) to test drive in a couple weeks.

The Exmark is interesting to know that they bumped up to the 2800's. I will reach out to them tomorrow on pricing.

The Toro 5050 range models I believe come with 2200's Unless i upgrade to the HD models that are roughly $1200 more. (Most affordable as well)

The Harsqvarna's I think are also equipped with the lower level 2200 trans. I think they market as "maintenance free".

It may be too early to slice anything from my wish list, but I'm realizing that the trans leap from 2100/2200 up to 2800/3100 is in the
$1200 to $1400 range. So the additional questions arise, Are they worth the added cost? Are they that much stronger? Are they that much more Reliable?
My experience is only with garden tractor mowing on a John Deere 345 and an X320, neither had trans-axle issues in there 750 hour life that I owned them.
I may be comparing apples to oranges between a garden tractor drive and the zero turns? If the leap is really that beneficial then I wont compromise by settling
for the lesser of the two.

cruzenmike

Threads
I would certainly shop the Ferris around. I spoke with my local dealer last year and it was less than $4600 out the door for the 400s in a 48" deck with the Kawasaki engine. As for the Toro, the TimeCutter HD 48" is a very nice mower and has the 3100 hydros but unfortunately only has a Toro branded 22.5hp engine. With regards to your question about the upgrade/expense into something with 2800/3100 hydrostatics it is certainly worth it. Without getting into whether or not you can service the EZT's, the 2800/3100 are actually designed for the consumer to "service" with filter and fluid changes. Besides the fact that they offer more torque and faster ground speeds, they have stronger internals which combined with the serviceability should provide longer life.

The Exmark Quest and the Toro MX are very similar. Unfortunately Toro/Exmark changed most of their Kohler and Kawasaki powerplants over to in-house engines. There are a couple here and there but you obviously get more Kawasaki engines as you go up into the more expensive mowers.

On a side note, if you are not using the mower commercially, the engine choice may not matter a whole lot. Most of the engines in mowers under $5k are all comparable. Some buyers are looking for the machine that will last a lifetime, and spending $10k on a Scag or similar may get you that, but for the average home owner with a couple of acres will only put 50-100 hours a year on the mower and should see at least a decade of trouble free use out of that $5k machine. Just a little money a time to keep it maintained over the years.

You might also want to look at the new Cub Cadet Ultima ZT2 54. This mower is under $4k before taxes and has the 23hp Kawasaki FR691, 2800 hydros, wide front and rear tires and a very sturdy design. I am not a huge Cub Cadet fan, but this new series of mowers has been well received by those who have reviewed it already.

Blue-Grass

Forum Newbie
Threads
CruzenMike I agree totally on upgrading to the better hydros. After searching and reading some posts about failures at 150hrs, rebuilding processes and cost, it's definitely not the area to cut back on. I would like to shop other Ferris dealers but unfortunately the next closest one is over an hour away. I was hoping the one 5 minutes from my house would work out. However, today there's a game changer. A local Toro dealer listed a used machine that has my attention. A 2014 Toro TITAN 54" ZX5400 with 120hrs. This model has a 23HP Kawasaki and ZT3100, listed at $2497. That's a lot more machine then the classes I was considering and half of what I was planning to spend.
I'm going to look at it tomorrow and give it a good going over. If anyone has experience with the Titan? please chime in and let me know the pros and cons?

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The Titan is an excellent unit. I didn’t recommend it because was outside the price range you initially posted. Have sold many of these to our small to midsize landscapers. Have not heard or seen of any problems with them. Remember I am a Toro guy, but I always give honest answers.

cruzenmike

Threads
I have looked at a few Titans and they are close to Exmark Lazer Z quality in my opinion. A machine with that few hours should last you many years if maintained. Any new machine you would be shopping at that price would likely fail before the Titan would.

Padroo

Threads
Toro owns Ferris so you will see a lot of similarities. Ferris is owned by Briggs & Stratton.

I own a Toro for 15 years and bought my first Ferris last fall for my wife.