Troy Built Rear Engine Rider Starting Issue

Art H

Forum Newbie
Threads
I never had a problem like this and I'm stumped. First thing in the morning the mower engaged the starter when I turned the key but it wouldn't start. It wouldn't spin over. Acted like the battery was dead or really weak. I charged the battery but still no start. Then I removed the plug and it spun over fine. Replaced the plug and it started fine. I used it all afternoon with no starting issues. Next morning the same problem, turn the key but just wouldn't spin over. Figured it must be the battery not holding a charge. It was an old battery so I assumed it was a battery issue. I replaced the battery and same issue. It just wouldn't spin over. I removed the plug and it spun over great. Put the plug back in and it started fine. Now I'm thinking maybe a starter issue but removing and reinstalling plug to get it started has me confused. Anyone else run into an issue like this. Motor is a Briggs 10.5 Intek I believe, on a Troy Built rear engine rider.

Threads
I don't know why anyone replied to your issue ???? Oh well........ It looks as if you have the time and time again adjust the valves syndrome..... LOL....

The valves need adjusting to activate the compression release made into the camshaft........... 5 thousands on each valve, or is it 4 thousands ??? Naw just kidding..... Go with 4 and you'll be OK .....

I'll post a link to an easy way to do the job in a bit .....

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
Ok here's the link to the video....... Now remember the valve you want adjust is going to be the closed... That means the one with the spring extended fully out towards you.... That means the valve is closed on the inside of the head..... The one that is open will be the one you can't move the rocker arm, it's under extreme tension......

Once you get past the fake Bubba teeth and hair you'll be OK ... LOL..... Let us know how you come out with your issue Mon Ami ~!~!

https://youtu.be/8PEUt_KAcYk

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The other thought could be a slowing leaking float valve causing a mild hydrolock issue after setting overnight. Removing the plug could be clearing the fuel from the cylinder. Most of the valve adjustment issues are on the 28 and 31 cubic inch engines which would be the 15.5-21.5 engines. Don't seem much of the valve adjustment issues on the smaller engines.

Threads
The other thought could be a slowing leaking float valve causing a mild hydrolock issue after setting overnight. Removing the plug could be clearing the fuel from the cylinder. Most of the valve adjustment issues are on the 28 and 31 cubic inch engines which would be the 15.5-21.5 engines. Don't seem much of the valve adjustment issues on the smaller engines.

You are correct IL Engine Damn you on the ball this morning LOL..................

I do think if it had excessive fuel blowing out the cylinder he just might have said something about it.... Also it didn't go POOF and Flame up like one I did last season ..... That fire melted a lot of schitt on that mower..... But Boudreaux to the rescue ......

Plus Tard Mes Amies ~!~!

Art H

Forum Newbie
Threads
I believe you hit it dead on. Either float is sticking or slowly leaking. Had to pull the plug again this morning and when it spun over it blew fuel out. Also, I changed the oil two days ago and now over filled a 1/4” on the stick. Looks like a rebuild kit and more oil. Thanks to you guys for the help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct IL Engine Damn you on the ball this morning LOL..................

I do think if it had excessive fuel blowing out the cylinder he just might have said something about it.... Also it didn't go POOF and Flame up like one I did last season ..... That fire melted a lot of schitt on that mower..... But Boudreaux to the rescue ......

Plus Tard Mes Amies ~!~!

I thought that only ever happened to me.
Dang we have enough troubles getting modern fuels to burn in the first place, so the flame thrower sort of caught me off guard.
Now SOP is to put the spark tester on the plug so I can tuck it out of the way or crank the engine direct off the jumper pack with the ignition turned off.
And of course I had my ugly head hanging over the head to see if any thing came out.
Singed eyebrows are apparently quite the height of fashion.

Threads
I thought that only ever happened to me.
Dang we have enough troubles getting modern fuels to burn in the first place, so the flame thrower sort of caught me off guard.
Now SOP is to put the spark tester on the plug so I can tuck it out of the way or crank the engine direct off the jumper pack with the ignition turned off.
And of course I had my ugly head hanging over the head to see if any thing came out.
Singed eyebrows are apparently quite the height of fashion.

No No No .... LOL That happened to my customer...... That's when he became my customer I mean LOL....... He had a flame shooter for sure... He did have a big red bottle with a hose on it though ~!~!