Need help deciding between two mowers

45mb42t3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

New member, here. Looking to buy a Scag. Currently cutting 8 to 10 acres, with small rolling hills and ditch banks, nothing too steep IMO. Deck size is not an issue.

Narrowed it down to a Tiger Cat II. Having a hard time deciding which one. Would like a Kawasaki engine.

Looking at 52 inch deck with 22hp Kawasaki or for $500 more the 61 inch deck with 26 EFI Kawasaki and has wider tires.

Any feedback on either of these mowers? concerned with rutting somewhat with the 52 inch deck since has narrower tires. On the 61 inch deck concerned with engine since its only been around about a year and a half. Would like hear if anyone has one of these....

Thanks

JGGMC

Threads
I bought a new Tiger Cat 2 last year with a 52 deck and 22 hp Kawasaki. I have not had any problems and very happy with it. I only mow 2 acres. I would buy a 61 if I had as much to mow as you. Good luck.

mcdonell

Threads
I bought a new Tiger Cat 2 last year with a 52 deck and 22 hp Kawasaki. I have not had any problems and very happy with it. I only mow 2 acres. I would buy a 61 if I had as much to mow as you. Good luck.

I agree. I mow a little more than 3 acres and I have Cheetah 61 deck with the Kawasaki. No way would I want a smaller deck.

JustinR

Forum Newbie
Threads
We have technically 3 Tiger Cats with 52" deck and 22 hp Kawasaki and they've been great. No issues with the engines at all. Together the 3 have over 4k hours. we also have a TC2 52" with 22 Kawi with 470 hours with no issues. Today I bought a new TC2 61 with the 26 Kawi and looking forward to seeing how it does. You'll prob already have your mower before I can give feedback on it. I will say that if it works as well as the 52s have, I'll probably be switching to 61s almost full time. I've heard they have plenty of power and supposed to get better fuel economy due to the EFI.

45mb42t3

Forum Newbie
Threads
JustinR

Did you test drive it? Nobody has one near me. I would have to order it.

Thanks

JustinR

Forum Newbie
Threads
JustinR

Did you test drive it? Nobody has one near me. I would have to order it.

Thanks

I did. I was worried about the handling of it due to the increased size. I ran a 61" Turf Tiger 2 last year and it handled like a bus compared to the Tiger Cat. The 61 TC2 handles just like my 52. Came with the larger air less front tires like the TT2 has.
My dealer had a new 52 TC2 still in the crate and for some reason it had the bigger front tires too. Not sure if that was a special order of if they've changed them. I was told there's only $40 difference between the couple hold overs from last year and the new ones. If that's a new change, I'd make sure to check on that if you go with a 52. The air less front tires are about $250 if you order them later. Personally, I'd be pissed if I they sold me one with the smaller air filled tires when I could have gotten the larger air less tires for $40 more. My salesman (I tried one instead of going through the owner) didn't even notice the tire change on the 52. He had to go look to even believe me.

45mb42t3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tip on front tires. Does your new 61 have the new two tone seat? I think all the so called new 19s i have looked at were actually leftover 18s

JGGMC

Threads
I did. I was worried about the handling of it due to the increased size. I ran a 61" Turf Tiger 2 last year and it handled like a bus compared to the Tiger Cat. The 61 TC2 handles just like my 52. Came with the larger air less front tires like the TT2 has.
My dealer had a new 52 TC2 still in the crate and for some reason it had the bigger front tires too. Not sure if that was a special order of if they've changed them. I was told there's only $40 difference between the couple hold overs from last year and the new ones. If that's a new change, I'd make sure to check on that if you go with a 52. The air less front tires are about $250 if you order them later. Personally, I'd be pissed if I they sold me one with the smaller air filled tires when I could have gotten the larger air less tires for $40 more. My salesman (I tried one instead of going through the owner) didn't even notice the tire change on the 52. He had to go look to even believe me.

I wish I had know about the airless front tire option for 40 extra. I have had to plug one front tire.

JustinR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the tip on front tires. Does your new 61 have the new two tone seat? I think all the so called new 19s i have looked at were actually leftover 18s

Mine has the two tone seat and so did the new shipment of 52s they have. I got to run my 61 on 5 yards today. Handles like a dream. I'd dare to say it handles better than my 52 TC2. The real test will be when the bahia grass comes out this summer. So far I love it. Will your dealer be getting some in any time soon? Mine sold the first one he had before they even had it out of the crate. I bought mine about 10 min after they had it together and he had 2 more in the back. Thinking it's going to be a big seller. If you were closer, I'd be happy to let you drive both of them.

45mb42t3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like a great day. Hopefully, I can locate one this weekend to check out.