First time shopper

Jwm470

Forum Newbie
Threads
My JD 318 at 1200 hours is worn out mowing our 4 acre yard. Have a serious affinity for diesels and like the Scag TT. Looking at a 2015 Scag TT Kubota 750 hours $9500 or 2019 Scag TT 2 Kubota with 220 hours $13K. I have not shopped for a new mower ever have always bought used for $1,800 or less. I am starting to get used to $10k price, but am curious if I am looking at too much mower. I anticipate mowing my parents yard in the future which is another 3 acres. I like quality and long lasting purchases which is why I would not consider buying at a box store. We currently have 6 diesels in our household and I am comfortable maintaining them and prefer them over gas in every application possible. What do the professionals on this forum think?

mcdonell

Threads
My thought is I am not excited about buying used mowers with 100's of hours on them, especially if I don't know the owner/history. Buying a diesel to just run it a few hours a week may not be practical.

For the mowing your describing, I would think a Tiger Cat II with a 61 inch deck would work out just fine. My Cheetah would also not be afraid of the chore you described. The Kawasaki motor seems to hold up nicely. You can buy new and still be within your budget range.

My friend has a TT diesel. That thing is loud, rattles and expensive to repair. Guess I am too old fashion and don't need fuel injectors, extra fuel filters, and injector pumps to mow my yard.

Just my thoughts and I am not a professional.

Last edited:

JGGMC

Threads
the zero down, zero interest from Scag sure makes it nice.

JPE

Threads
the zero down, zero interest from Scag sure makes it nice.

Scag doesn't current have a 0 down 0 interest program. It appears their Yard Card financing ended Jan. 31st, 2019.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Scag doesn't current have a 0 down 0 interest program. It appears their Yard Card financing ended Jan. 31st, 2019.

True but you can still get a pretty good deal through Sheffield Financial including 0%.

JustinR

Forum Newbie
Threads

I just bought a TC2 with 61" and 26 hp Kawi EFI and got 0% for 48 months. I believe the went through Sheffield.

Jwm470

Forum Newbie
Threads
My thought is I am not excited about buying used mowers with 100's of hours on them, especially if I don't know the owner/history. Buying a diesel to just run it a few hours a week may not be practical.

For the mowing your describing, I would think a Tiger Cat II with a 61 inch deck would work out just fine. My Cheetah would also not be afraid of the chore you described. The Kawasaki motor seems to hold up nicely. You can buy new and still be within your budget range.

My friend has a TT diesel. That thing is loud, rattles and expensive to repair. Guess I am too old fashion and don't need fuel injectors, extra fuel filters, and injector pumps to mow my yard.

Just my thoughts and I am not a professional.

I like the noise of a diesel and the Kubota at idle sounds like a diesel should, but at full throttle with the blades turning it is loud and hard for me to tell the difference from a gas engine. Both require hearing protection.
Mcdonell, I am curious what engine repairs your friend encountered on his diesel.
There is 0% for 48 with a $125 one time fee. That offer sounds good, but the price of a new diesel at $16,500 to mow 4-7 acres is bordering on, if not full on foolishness. Just ask my wife, she will tell you so. That is why I asked about the two used diesels in my initial post. New is out of the question in the diesel category. 35 or 37 Vanguard is also on my radar. I have a friend with. Exmark 35hp Vanguard with 5,500 hours with only a carb replacement. His experience with that engine rivals diesel in the longevity department.

Last edited:

mcdonell

Threads
My friend's TT Kubota had to have new injectors and pump at less than 1000 hours. He said he paid the Kubota dealer about a grand. I can't remember what the second trip to the Kubota dealer was about. But he said it wasn't cheap.

I know his diesel seems louder than my 27 hp Kawasaki or my F350 6.7 Diesel. :laughing:

I know too that people should buy what they want or they won't be happy.

Dwellonroof

Threads
My JD 318 at 1200 hours is worn out mowing our 4 acre yard. Have a serious affinity for diesels and like the Scag TT. Looking at a 2015 Scag TT Kubota 750 hours $9500 or 2019 Scag TT 2 Kubota with 220 hours $13K. I have not shopped for a new mower ever have always bought used for $1,800 or less. I am starting to get used to $10k price, but am curious if I am looking at too much mower. I anticipate mowing my parents yard in the future which is another 3 acres. I like quality and long lasting purchases which is why I would not consider buying at a box store. We currently have 6 diesels in our household and I am comfortable maintaining them and prefer them over gas in every application possible. What do the professionals on this forum think?

I purchased a 3 year old at the time TT with a Cat diesel with 61" velocity deck for my 4 acres and really like it but I also have a 2720 John Deere tractor and a small diesel generator as to keep everything diesel so I don't have to fill gas cans.
I have an oil furnace in the finished area of the barn and use a 50 gallon transfer tank to fill the heating oil tank and my equipment. (it's cheaper for me to get diesel at the gas station and use for both than to have heating oil delivered)

DK35vince

Threads
My friend's TT Kubota had to have new injectors and pump at less than 1000 hours. He said he paid the Kubota dealer about a grand. I can't remember what the second trip to the Kubota dealer was about. But he said it wasn't cheap.
Certainly not typical of a Kubota Diesel at such low hours.
Did he run some seriously bad fuel threw it to lose both a pump and injectors at such low hours ??