160cc Enough Power?

Bshort1023

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am replacing a Briggs and Stratton 190cc 6.75 Torque lb... that seems to have seized up.

Seems like most new push mowers I see are between 140cc and 163cc. Have engines become more efficient since I purchased my 190cc? I don't want to be under powered with the new mower.

Thanks.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I went out to start my logsplitter this fall, it was locked up.
Turned out the coil was just rusted to the flywheel.

Look at your engine first, you might be lucky.

Bshort1023

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I took it apart as much as I could. I got it down to the flywheel (if that's what it's called) and there was nothing stuck or jammed. I blew it all out. I could turn it with my hand. Put it back together and same issue. It pulls but with a lot of difficulty and not enough to start it.

Thanks.

Threads
So I took it apart as much as I could. I got it down to the flywheel (if that's what it's called) and there was nothing stuck or jammed. I blew it all out. I could turn it with my hand. Put it back together and same issue. It pulls but with a lot of difficulty and not enough to start it.

Thanks.

take your spark plug out and see what happens ...........

Honda Tech

Threads
Look under your deck. If you use yours to pick-up or mulch leaves, they will stick to the deck like nothing else and you end up actually trying to pull the blade through the 'wall of leaves'. Might just need to clean your deck out. Disconnect, or better yet, remove your spark plug. Don't want any accidental starts. Tilt mower back so the spark plug is UP. Scrape away! Hope it's that simple.

If not, many engines are application specific, so you can't just by any engine and expect it to fit up properly. Different controls, crankshaft diameters and length, etc. And yes, 160cc range is sufficient for mowing a managed yard. If you occasionally mow a rough area will tall or heavier grass, then the additional horsepower is a bonus.

Good Luck!

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Without knowing more I'd guess your mower was designed for mulching, they put a pretty much oversized motor on those. The smaller motor would work fine for usual grass cutting, might be an overhead valve motor which has a bit more power than an older flat head engine with more displacement. But as stated above, check shaft size and length before buying the new motor. MIght look for a wad of string around the crankshaft under the deck too, that can bind things up.