FR651V vs FR691

Rob89

Threads
Hey guys.

I'm looking to buy my first zero turn and I am between the Scag Liberty Z and the Bobcat CRV. The Scag I'm looking at has the FR691 and the Bobcat has the FR651. What is the difference between the two?

Thanks for any help!

cruzenmike

Threads
Anything with 48-52" decks and these motors should work just fine for most users. I have a 48" deck with an 18hp engine and have never had an issue with insufficient power; not even when using a belt-driven vac system. Where the smaller of the two engines you reference may be more fuel efficient, you might need to slow your ground speed during adverse conditions to ensure that the engine torque can keep up with the lawn being cut under the deck. Either way, you will enjoy whatever Scag or Bobcat you get.

Rob89

Threads
The torque spec of both motors is roughly the same. I'm looking at the 52" deck on both the Bobcat and the Scag. I'm going to check both out tomorrow morning and hopefully make a decision sometime in the next week.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The torque spec of both motors is roughly the same. I'm looking at the 52" deck on both the Bobcat and the Scag. I'm going to check both out tomorrow morning and hopefully make a decision sometime in the next week.

That is because they are the same engines.
Same bore, same stroke, same compression ratio.
One will have a slightly bigger carb ( or a smaller restrictor plate ) and perhaps they might have different governor springs.
In either case have a good think about springing for the remote canister air filter well worth the extra or adding it after warranty has expired.
ZTR's get really dusty and even worse if you run a bagger

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is because they are the same engines.
Same bore, same stroke, same compression ratio.
One will have a slightly bigger carb ( or a smaller restrictor plate ) and perhaps they might have different governor springs.
In either case have a good think about springing for the remote canister air filter well worth the extra or adding it after warranty has expired.
ZTR's get really dusty and even worse if you run a bagger

Yes so true. They just tuned the 651V up to make it a 691V

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually the FR691 and FR651 are detuned versions of the FR730, look at the carbs in the parts manuals.
Equipment manufacturers pay by horse power, we as consumers pay for the engine and horse power.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Better yet, my 651 is having an easy life either way.