Tachometer

Andysp

Threads
Hi,does anyone use one of these to tune there chainsaw?I bought one and can set the idle but when I try the high revs the screen just goes blank/turns off.Any idea what may be wrong?I have set it for the one cylinder settings-l500.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi,does anyone use one of these to tune there chainsaw?I bought one and can set the idle but when I try the high revs the screen just goes blank/turns off.Any idea what may be wrong?I have set it for the one cylinder settingView attachment 42937

Did you purchase on that will go to the RPM's you can achive on a chainsaw?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
the one is the picture looks like the hour meters for lawn mowers which would be below around 4000 rpm, whereas the normal chainsaw will turn 13,800 or there abouts. My tach for chainsaws goes to 20,000.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most of those tachs use the same chip.
When it get overwhelmed the screen goes blank.
I use a Tiny Tach and if I get too close to the spark wire it does the same thing.
Like Illengine, mine is supposed to be good for 20,000 rpm.

Threads
Hi,does anyone use one of these to tune there chainsaw?I bought one and can set the idle but when I try the high revs the screen just goes blank/turns off.Any idea what may be wrong?I have set it for the one cylinder settingView attachment 42937

There is a setting for 2 stroke and 4 stroke....... Read the small booklet well Mon Ami ~!~!

Bluedew

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know someone who uses a Tiny Tach and he swears by it. I was thinking of picking on up for myself soon.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I know someone who uses a Tiny Tach and he swears by it. I was thinking of picking on up for myself soon.

I have 3 different tachs
The one with a RF antannea is the most reliable & most useable as your eye can smooth out a fluctuating needle easily but rapidly changing numbers are bit more difficult.
The tiny tach is also sensitive to the distance from the plug and the type of plug so you can get a lower reading if you are too far away.
However the max rev function is really handy.
If they made one which recorded max, min & average it would be great.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure I understand why you would use a tach on a chainsaw. Adjust the idle just below the clutch grab point, adjust the carb for good response and max power under load. School me on this, always ready to learn something.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not sure I understand why you would use a tach on a chainsaw. Adjust the idle just below the clutch grab point, adjust the carb for good response and max power under load. School me on this, always ready to learn something.

Because when set by ear, you can often be way above the recommended max top speed.
Same for idle speed.
To cover my backside , I record these speeds on the worksheet.
Keeps the insurance company happy.
Just like always using a tension wrench for doing up blade bolts.
I could probably do them to the right tension with my eyes closed but the wrench gets used every time

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads

I used to sell and work on a brand of chainsaw called Solo. If you set the saw by ear where it sounded great, normally when you would put a tach on it would read around 13.500-13.800, but the thing was max rpm on that saw was 12.500, and when set to that level actually actually have a slight 4 stroke sound. Also a lot of new 2 stroke saws have a spark advance timing with rev limiter build into the ignition module. You can set the saw too lean to where without the rev limiter would just scream, but the rev limiter can disguise a saw that is too lean, but some saws will sound like they are too rich and 4 stroke above the rev limit. Also a tach can be used to diagnose a faulty ignition module because the new spark advance modules with rev limiter will go bad and you will never see a loss of spark on a spark tester, but the tach will give goofy readings.