1965 huffy Broadlawn riding lawn mower

gaw6584

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have briggs 7hp in my huffy its time for a rebuild but I would like to put a new style brigg in as anyone tried this? Or should I stay with old one.

Mkala

Threads
Hello,

Should be another one if it is a 7hp. Can you post model type of engine ?
Why not rebuilding the engine itself ? In what condition is it ?

gaw6584

Forum Newbie
Threads
My dad replace the 5hp with 7hp when he cracked the block back in the 80s he passed away 2009 . So I decided to restore it. The motor uses oil and carb leaks . The model no.170702-2016-01 . My thinking was to put a new motor in it so it wouldn't be so hard to start with the new technology just a thought.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
would not know a Huffy if I fell over one.
But if it is from 1965 it would have used a side valve engine.
A lot of 60's era mowers get repowered down here and the killer is the length of the engine.
For one locally made brand also the height of the cylinder as it has steering linkages that run under the cylinder.
So go to Small Engine Warehouse or Small Engine Suppliers or Repower.
All of their web sites have a direct link to engine dimensions, a lot easier than going through the Briggs web page.
On a lot of the really short mowers OHV engines have to go in sideways or even backwards to get them to fit.
The engine does not care which way it goes in , but backwards makes it hard to set the valve lashes.
Sideways can foul on deck height & PTO levers.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like this?
mower 001.JPG

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Or?
mower 007.JPG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Well if that is what it looks like it will be a real shoe horn job to get an OHV into there
So it might be a case of rebuilding the engine in there or another SV engine.
Lots of them were full iron cylinders so you could bore them out at least 1 oversize.

Mkala

Threads
Replacing a side valve by an OVH is not that easy if space constrained, as bertsmobile1 say. Engine layout is obviously way different.

Rebuilding the old require some skill and time, but you can always learn things and have satisfaction to restore something.
Unless I'm wrong or a special series, 170 000 are aluminum. But if you can find a shop that will machine you block, new oversized piston with ring is still available
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...70799/170702-2016-01/cyl-sump-piston-oil-fill

But you should find where the oil consumption is from. And perhaps is all is worn out it's not worth it.
The carb should not be a big deal, a full carb kit should make it like a new.

gaw6584

Forum Newbie
Threads
I like the pics :thumbsup:
Great info as well