Buying a mower for the long haul

Rob89

Threads
Hello everybody. I am looking for some advice on buying a new zero turn. I had an acre in Florida and mowed it with a Cub Cadet from Home Depot. Worked just fine for what I did with it. I moved to North Carolina a couple years ago and did not expect to have a yard for a while so I sold the Cub Cadet. Now I'm on a 3/4 acre and used a walk behind all last year. I will be on 5-10 acres in the next few years. I'm at the phase of my life where I want to buy something once correctly instead of buying incorrectly and having to re-buy in a couple years. So I want to buy a mower that will serve me well for my next yard but I want to buy it now because the thought of another year behind the walk behind on this current lot makes me miserable.

What I really want is the Scag Liberty Z however the price tag scares me. I'm willing to spend it to buy correctly and have something that will serve me well for the next 10+ years however I'm wondering if there is something else on the market that will serve me just as well that I just haven't come across yet and that's what I'm here asking your opinions for. I know I want a Kawasaki V-Twin motor and a 46"-52" fabricated deck. Is there any other mower I should be looking at that will go the long haul (10+ years) for me on 5-10 acres?

Thanks and I appreciate any help.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would want something bigger/faster/stronger for mowing 5 to 10 acres. Yeah, you could do it with a 52 inch Liberty, but it would be quite a chore.

Rob89

Threads
I apologize, I should have given more detail. Only 2-3 acres of the property where my home will be built will be kept. The rest will be wild. So i'm looking for something to handle that 2-3 acres once the house is built but want to purchase now because I don't know if I can do the walk behind on this current lot for another year. My life is extremely busy and I don't have the time to invest in it. Mowing with the walk behind takes 1-2 hours. My buddy with his zero turn did it in 30 minutes- and that was with taking extra time to spread the clippings because the grass was very tall. I could easily go back to Home Depot and get another 1200-1500 ride on but then that leaves me with another purchase to make when the house is built. The way I figure is I might as well just do it right the first time and only have to do it once.

NorthBama

Threads
If you want a machine that will last go with a commercial machine. I know the price is much but the big box store machine cutting 2 to 3 acres will last maybe 5 years. Just my opinion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agree with NorthBama,

But if you are stuck on a Liberty they now have a 61".

cruzenmike

Threads
2-3 acres of mowing warrants a 60 inch deck. If you are going to do anything with a deck that large you are going to be in commercial mower territory. With the exception of the Toro MX6050, I am not aware of any other non-commercial mowers with a deck over 54". Not to mention, the Toro is going to have a "Toro" branded engine. Anything with a 60" fabricated deck and a Kawasaki engine is going to be $6k plus I would think. At those kinds of prices, have you considered a Garden Tractor? I do not know what other chores you will have to do on the property, or the terrain to which you will be using it (slopes, rough ground, etc.) but you can have a heck of a garden tractor in the same price range.

Also, you could purchase something like a Ferris 400S with a Kawasaki engine and spend around $4500 and get a suspension system to help with rough terrain. Unfortunately, its not just the engine, or the deck that will determine how long this thing will last. Many mower manufacturers use different hydraulic systems (separate pumps and motors vs integrated pumps/motors), different metal thicknesses on the deck and frame and of course the various series of engines (Kawasaki FR, FS, FX in your case). Ultimately you will be compromising something if your budget does not allow for everything you want. At the end of the day, some machines are built better, but all must be maintained to ensure the longest life.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am not aware of any other non-commercial mowers with a deck over 54".

Here you go, Bob-Cat XRZ and XRZ Pro. https://www.bobcatturf.com/products/xrz/#productspecs https://www.bobcatturf.com/products/xrz-pro/#overview

Might be a bit much for a CRZ, but I guess it's an option. https://www.bobcatturf.com/products/crz/#productspecs

The XRZ PRO RS is really sweet! It's right on the edge of homeowner/commercial. https://www.bobcatturf.com/products/xrz-pro/#overview

dmenn

Threads
Check out the Cub Cadet Ultima Series. If you go with the ZT2 models, they come with a ZT-2800 transmission and a Kawasaki engine. If you're thinking you want a really large deck, they have a 60" model and it runs for $4200.

I'm also looking for a zero turn this spring - I have about 3/4 of an acre to mow and looking for something to last me a long time. I'm considering stepping up to the ZT-2800 transmission for better longevity compared to the EZTs sold in many of the big box store models. I've researched/looked at several with the ZT-2800/Kawasaki combination, including the Scag Liberty Z, Ferris 400S, and Gravely ZT-XL. I'm waiting for my local dealer to get a Cub Cadet ZT2 so I can check it out.

Good luck in your search!

cruzenmike

Threads
Check out the Cub Cadet Ultima Series. If you go with the ZT2 models, they come with a ZT-2800 transmission and a Kawasaki engine. If you're thinking you want a really large deck, they have a 60" model and it runs for $4200.

I'm also looking for a zero turn this spring - I have about 3/4 of an acre to mow and looking for something to last me a long time. I'm considering stepping up to the ZT-2800 transmission for better longevity compared to the EZTs sold in many of the big box store models. I've researched/looked at several with the ZT-2800/Kawasaki combination, including the Scag Liberty Z, Ferris 400S, and Gravely ZT-XL. I'm waiting for my local dealer to get a Cub Cadet ZT2 so I can check it out.

Good luck in your search!

I completely forgot about the Ultima series. The 60" with the Kawasaki looks good. Some guys on YouTube did a review of the new Cub Cadets and we're quite impressed with how it performed. And 2800s or better is a must for that much mowing. Having serviceable hydrostatics will greatly increase the life expectancy of the drive units.

mhavanti

Threads
Hustler SD60 is a great machine. I do a series of videos on the Hustler Raptor Super Duty. You can learn quite a lot following my videos about the machine. Good, bad and ugly. Everything from installing LED headlights, 12 power sockets, tail lights, Strobing Safety Lights facing side and back, flex forks, suspension seat kits, seat slider kits, ergonomic dash boards, tachometers to tune the engine by, hydro wheel motor tracking, deck leveling and much more.

We hold give away contests, all kinds of BS. Drop by, take a look, subscribe if they help you out and share. We try to help without trying to sell you anything.https://www.youtube.com/maxsgarajmahal

We also have a Hustler Mower Owner group in Failbook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/HustlerMowerOwners/

The group also has factory folks in it. I'm not giving out their names. You can simply ask them if you want to have a direct connection to the plant.

Give the Hustler Raptor Super Duty 60 a look. They are beasts.

Good luck in your choice,

Max