Buying a mower for the long haul

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello everybody. I am looking for some advice on buying a new zero turn. I had an acre in Florida and mowed it with a Cub Cadet from Home Depot. Worked just fine for what I did with it. I moved to North Carolina a couple years ago and did not expect to have a yard for a while so I sold the Cub Cadet. Now I'm on a 3/4 acre and used a walk behind all last year. I will be on 5-10 acres in the next few years. I'm at the phase of my life where I want to buy something once correctly instead of buying incorrectly and having to re-buy in a couple years. So I want to buy a mower that will serve me well for my next yard but I want to buy it now because the thought of another year behind the walk behind on this current lot makes me miserable.

What I really want is the Scag Liberty Z however the price tag scares me. I'm willing to spend it to buy correctly and have something that will serve me well for the next 10+ years however I'm wondering if there is something else on the market that will serve me just as well that I just haven't come across yet and that's what I'm here asking your opinions for. I know I want a Kawasaki V-Twin motor and a 46"-52" fabricated deck. Is there any other mower I should be looking at that will go the long haul (10+ years) for me on 5-10 acres?

Thanks and I appreciate any help.

There is nothing that I have ever seen in my part of the world that will out cut Scag mowers. I think if you are wanting to cut that much grass however you want to move up to atleast a Tiger Cat. 52" or 61". If you take reasonably good care of it maintenance wise it will last you as long as you want to run it.

The Velocity deck is incredible. Blade change is a snap. I am 62 and can change blades on a Tiger Cat with a cordless impact in under 5 minutes. The one I have left I(I sold 3 of mine last year cutting back some) has 2000 hours on it.

They are as good as you will get.

Rob89

Threads
I went to a local dealer this morning and we put the Liberty Z and the CRZ side by side, both 52". I think for me the CRZ wins. The big specs are the same- Kawasaki engine, 2800 hydros, fabricated deck, etc. The Bobcat seemed to win in some of the details and intangibles. Front casters are taller with grease zerks, the deck is thicker with a lip on the front. There is a wheel well on the rear wheels which will go a long way to protecting the innards and keeping debris out. The innards are much more accessible for cleaning and service from the top, seat is more comfortable, cup holder is bigger and deeper, oil changes will be easier with the drain hose connected to the engine. Overall the Bobcat had a more solid feel to it and just felt a little more rugged. I didn't make a purchase, I still want to sleep on it the next day or two but I have a feeling come next week I'll be looking for the best price on the CRZ. This dealer wanted $4,800 and there is another dealer about an hour south of where I was this morning that wants $4,300. I think i'm willing to drive an extra hour to save $500.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I went to a local dealer this morning and we put the Liberty Z and the CRZ side by side, both 52". I think for me the CRZ wins. The big specs are the same- Kawasaki engine, 2800 hydros, fabricated deck, etc. The Bobcat seemed to win in some of the details and intangibles. Front casters are taller with grease zerks, the deck is thicker with a lip on the front. There is a wheel well on the rear wheels which will go a long way to protecting the innards and keeping debris out. The innards are much more accessible for cleaning and service from the top, seat is more comfortable, cup holder is bigger and deeper, oil changes will be easier with the drain hose connected to the engine. Overall the Bobcat had a more solid feel to it and just felt a little more rugged. I didn't make a purchase, I still want to sleep on it the next day or two but I have a feeling come next week I'll be looking for the best price on the CRZ. This dealer wanted $4,800 and there is another dealer about an hour south of where I was this morning that wants $4,300. I think i'm willing to drive an extra hour to save $500.
Bob-Cat makes nice machines. If you step up to the XRZ you get the 691 engine, bigger tires, the higher grade HG3100 transmission and a faster speed. 2 or 3 acres is a good sized patch of grass. I think it would be wise to upgrade but it's not my money of course. A little better warranty too.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just my opinion, but I feel that anything with an air cooled, vertical shaft engine is not what I'd consider 'long haul.'

Rob89

Threads
Just my opinion, but I feel that anything with an air cooled, vertical shaft engine is not what I'd consider 'long haul.'

It's all relative. Fore me, to get 2,000 trouble free hours out of it is long haul. I mow about 8 months / 75 hours a year. At that pace, its about 26 years to 2,000 hours. That constitutes long haul in my book.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bob-Cat makes nice machines. If you step up to the XRZ you get the 691 engine, bigger tires, the higher grade HG3100 transmission and a faster speed. 2 or 3 acres is a good sized patch of grass. I think it would be wise to upgrade but it's not my money of course. A little better warranty too.

That Velocity Deck on a Scag if you go with the Tiger Cat or above will out cut the Bobcat or they have in the grass we cut. The Scag will last you 20 years or longer...........

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
That Velocity Deck on a Scag if you go with the Tiger Cat or above will out cut the Bobcat or they have in the grass we cut. The Scag will last you 20 years or longer...........
No argument there but it seems like the OP is a long ways away from the Tiger Cat at the moment.

Bob-Cat makes well rounded smooth operating machines with excellent warranties. Mine has really grown on me. They have a new deck on their top models, the AirFX deck. Don't know how it stacks up against the competition yet.

Rob89

Threads
No argument there but it seems like the OP is a long ways away from the Tiger Cat at the moment.

Bob-Cat makes well rounded smooth operating machines with excellent warranties. Mine has really grown on me. They have a new deck on their top models, the AirFX deck. Don't know how it stacks up against the competition yet.

Yeah the Tiger Cat is about double what I'm looking to spend. I am debating the CRZ vs the XRZ but am having a hard time justifying the need for the XRZ. I think I am pretty set on the CRZ. I am going to try to find the best price and terms over the next couple days. The dealer I was at yesterday wants $4,800. There is a dealer an hour south of that place that wants $4,300. There is a third dealer that is only about 20 minutes from home that also wants $4,300 however the unit they have has been there sitting outside since last October. For the same money I think I'll take one fresh out of the crate. I am going to see if the dealer that wants $4,800 can come down to $4,300- I doubt it and I want to support the mom and pop shop but I'm not paying 11% more to do that. I'd be willing to pay maybe $100 more to support the local guy but that is about as much as I am willing to stretch.

Regardless, I think I'll be taking home a new CRZ in the next week or two. Now I need to find a break in all this rain to get it home. I have an open air utility trailer and it would kill me to bring home this brand new fresh out of the crate mower in the pouring rain!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's all relative. Fore me, to get 2,000 trouble free hours out of it is long haul. I mow about 8 months / 75 hours a year. At that pace, its about 26 years to 2,000 hours. That constitutes long haul in my book.

You may make it but I would not be surprised if you don't. You'd have a better chance of making it to 2000 hours if you ran it 8 hours per day, every day. Intermittent use of an engine is harder on an engine than continual use.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd try to get the best deal from the most convenient dealer if they are a good shop. That will likely be the dealer you'll go to for parts and service and they'll be much more helpful if it's their machine. Expect a cold shoulder there if you buy it somewhere else. I still vote for the XRZ for you though. Have you or can you take one for a spin? The 22 inch tires and the 3100 trans are a significant upgrade. 20 inch tires and 7 mph max on the CRZ is kind of slow for your acreage. By the way my FX691 is an excellent match with the 52 inch deck on my Fast-Cat Pro and has been flawless. Sweet engine!