Recoil start rope slooow to recoil

Canoester

Threads
Got the old brick top (model 3054) started today to mow up the last of the white oak leaves. The rope is very slow to recoil even in warm weather. Do the spring in these engines (D430) lose their mojo over time? I'm sure I cleaned the spring assembly when I replaced the crank seals 6 months ago.

Canoester

Threads
Got it working. I don't know what I cleaned when I replaced the cranks seals but it wasn't the recoil spring mechanism. The coil spring was caked with gunk and dried grease. Gave it bath with mineral spirits and lubed it with white lithium grease (thanks Wingless) and now it works fine. I put a new rope on while I had it apart (5' of #4 recoil start rope). 7.68$ repair.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally I wouldn’t apply any lube to the spring, it will only attract dirt. I keep all springs dry, or a bit of dry graphite. Just my opinion.

Canoester

Threads
Thought about the spring collecting crud and you may have a valid point. The one Youtube video I saw the person lubed the ASM as did wingless. I can't imagine this thing running all summer so I'll check it next time in there and report back.