Engine unusual piston ring for GXV 140

av-geek

Forum Newbie
Threads
In my previous post, I was debating on rebuilding the GXV 140 on my harmony mower. I went ahead and dove into it after finding a NOS crank and connecting rod, and being able to hone out the block and get all the scratches out. I purchased a handful of parts...so far, I'm only out around $50 or so in parts, and I'm gaining some education on how to do this. I ordered new rings, Genuine Honda rings, part number 13610-ZG9-003. The oil ring looks completely different from the one that came off. For lack of a technical term, The "zig-zags" of the original one go up and down in relation to the piston, and are much smaller than the oil ring I got with the ring kit, where the "zig zags" go in and out. Also, the two ends are labeled red and green, what does that mean?

Attachments

• 20190213_193700.jpg
    20190213_193700.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190213_193735.jpg
    20190213_193735.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 19

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In my previous post, I was debating on rebuilding the GXV 140 on my harmony mower. I went ahead and dove into it after finding a NOS crank and connecting rod, and being able to hone out the block and get all the scratches out. I purchased a handful of parts...so far, I'm only out around $50 or so in parts, and I'm gaining some education on how to do this. I ordered new rings, Genuine Honda rings, part number 13610-ZG9-003. The oil ring looks completely different from the one that came off. For lack of a technical term, The "zig-zags" of the original one go up and down in relation to the piston, and are much smaller than the oil ring I got with the ring kit, where the "zig zags" go in and out. Also, the two ends are labeled red and green, what does that mean?

:welcome:

That is the spacer for the oil scraper ( bottom ring ) and the shape of it is inconsequential .
All it has to do is hold the thin scrapers apart and square to the piston/ bore.
We all get taught to fit each part with the gap separated by 120 deg, but they rotate in service so I have never seen the logic in doing this and it makes them harder to install.
AFAIK there is no difference as to how the spacer goes in so the paint markings might ( I don't know definately ) just be for identification as it is hard to write on the spacer
Much the same as colour coding on springs.
OTOH the upper & lower compression rings should be marked top

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The difference oil compression ring could be due to a part supercessions. The paint on the ends of the ring basically are there to make sure that you don't overlap them when you install it.