BG 86 seized or NOT

RonK99

Threads
Hello STIHL fans!

just thought I'd share what happened with my BG86 hand held blower...

After a billion hours of blowing one day blowing snow it just clanked to a stop from wide open and when I pulled the cord it seemed like it had seized!
I went to strip it down to keep the parts i could use on a new one but when I took the PLUG out then the motor turned over freely again!

I did MUCH research online to see why this had happened to no avail. There was some talk of hydro-lock but nothing really relating to the BG86 or how to fix it...
I couldn't find anyplace that I could unplug this reason for it NOT turning over when the plug was in but I did see THE 2 CARB ADJUSTMENT SCREWS L&H and what I did was tighten them down to stop THEN back to 3/4 turn as manual said! Then I put the plug back in and THEN the motor turned over freely again! I put in some fuel and it is working GREAT again!

No place online had any fix for this, i think it was more of a fluke but turning the screws in to stop must have poked or moved the obstruction making it locked up!

Just thought I'd share this happening so if does to anybody else you will be able to get yours going again!

Cheers
Ron

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like you need to go through the carb and take a look...

charley95

Threads
Same thing happend today to my BG 86. This is the second BG 86 I've owned and the same thing happened to the first one. I went ahead and bought a new one to replace the first one in October of 15. I got an extended warranty on the first one that's good till Oct. 19. Taking it in today to see what they say at the service dept. where I bought it. The tech. on the phone stated they have bearing seizure problems with that model. I'll have to wait and see what they say, not happy since it's only 3 yrs. old. Might try Echo next time when this one craps out.

I thought Stihl was supposed to be more reliable than this. The Weed Eater blower I bought years ago at Sam's lasted 16yrs. Planned obsolescence I guess.

charley95

Threads
Talked to tech. yesterday and mine shattered internally even cracking the block. He said that Stihl will most likely issue a new unit. He mentioned that they use some type of shim installing bearings when they assemble. It's a known issue he stated with that model and when the shims come loose the bearing fails and the rest is history. Not a fan of Stihl anymore since my first BG 86 seized the same way. This second one only lasted 3 years before failure. Not impressed for $275! I'll bet the new one will live a short life, probably try Echo next time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Like all companies, Stihl produces a range of products from throw away domestic through to family heirloom units.
Unlike other companies Stihl does not make the difference obvious.
The key is in the serial number.
The first number is the plant/ country
From memory 1 through 6 are good and 7, 8, 9 are the Chinese & Brazil throw aways

RonK99

Threads
I guess mine piled in yesterday after all...I got a lot of hours out of it but still disappointing...I have an old BG 55 and it still works and I did get a new 86 now..we shall see...2 year warranty..if this happens again they can fix it or give me a new one I guess

charley95

Threads
I guess mine piled in yesterday after all...I got a lot of hours out of it but still disappointing...I have an old BG 55 and it still works and I did get a new 86 now..we shall see...2 year warranty..if this happens again they can fix it or give me a new one I guess

What exactly happened to your BG 86?

RonK99

Threads
What exactly happened to your BG 86?

I was running it blowing snow when it jammed to a stop...could hear it kind of cogging just before it locked up

I am not sure what happened inside, i didn't tear it apart..the motor that is.
I think it spun a bearing or the piston is toast or something like that
Could only turn it backwards and it was scraping and grinding inside doing that.

I took off what i could for spare parts and filed the rest under garbage.