Honda Harmony riding mower

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
First a question or three. What oil are you using to top off the hydro unit? Is there any sort of drain plug on the transmission? Can you see any model number or brand name on it?

CraigTbone

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have used only the Honda oil in the trans. There is a drain. I will look later today for a model/brand.

Is it possible that an oil change might help?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
With most of the aging Hydros a stiffer oil does really seem to help, costs a little and might extend the life several years. With the Tuff Torq units they recommend a synthetic 5w50 standard oil, a bit radical I think though.

cruzenmike

Threads
With most of the aging Hydros a stiffer oil does really seem to help, costs a little and might extend the life several years. With the Tuff Torq units they recommend a synthetic 5w50 standard oil, a bit radical I think though.

My Hydro-gear used 20w50 which is thick. You might want to first find out what the spec is on the oil you are using and go up in warm viscosity. Only. Also be sure to purge the hydrostatic after you replace all of the fluid. It's a good idea to always let your transmission warm up by letting it run for a minute or so before starting to drive off.

CraigTbone

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was not able to find any info on the trans this afternoon. It probably is there but I did not fond it.

I did find a local parts distributor that can get a new trans for about $400 so I think I will order one.

I have always used the recommend Honda oil. Is there any special magic in that oil? Will non-detergent gear oil work?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Without knowing the actual transmission the Honda oil might be the best for it. Some of these use the same oil for the differential gears and the hydraulic unit, two drastically different applications. The Honda oil might be formulated to serve both as much as possible. Not unlike some motorcycle oils that lube the engine, transmission gears, and the wet clutch discs, very unique service. Since you did get pretty good service with your original unit I'd stick with what works.

CraigTbone

Forum Newbie
Threads
I probably will continue using the Honda oil. It just is expensive.

CraigTbone

Forum Newbie
Threads
The new trans will be ordered today. The tires are original so those will be replaced along with the belts for the trans and blades.

Thinking about the engine, a tune up is in order. Should the valves be adjusted? I have a shop manual on order so that might have that info. I did a quick calculation, this tractor might have about 700 hours total running time.

Maybe a silly question....I would like to add a headlight (or 2). It would not be used extensively but occasionally it would be quite helpful. Would automotive accessory lights work or are there lights specifically designed for yard tractors?

Mkala

Threads
When did you checked the valve last time ? Should be done every 100hr on most small engines, but perhaps a bit more for your ? Don't know which engine you have.

For light, automotive and small tractor have same 12V circuitery. You should care about consumption, a charge coil is quite weak on a tractor compared to a car alternator. You should know how many amp this circuit put out. Your lights should consume (way) less than that to ensure proper charging of the battery.

If you choose LED this should not be a issue, 10W-20W LED will give you 800-2000lm depending on LED quality/efficiency (for reference a 55/60W halogen car bulb is about 1500lm. Max 2000lm for an HID that does not require auto-leveling and wash)

CraigTbone

Forum Newbie
Threads
A big disappointment today. The supplier that said they had transmissions goofed, they have gear transmissions but not hydrostatic!!!! They could get the hydro pump section but that is more than $1,100.

I will do a bit more research but at that price I probably will be getting a new mower. Likely a zero turn.