Honda Harmony riding mower

CraigTbone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings. New member. First post.

I have a 20 year old Honda Harmony 2013 riding mower with a hydrostatic trans.

Over the years the top speed has steadily reduced considerably so now that is less than half of the original.

Engine runs fine. Belts are tight, no signs of slipping.

I assume that the trans is wearing out seals or such.

Before I scrap it and buy a new mower, is there any fixes that are not too expensive? The rest of this mower is in good condition.

As always, any input is most appreciated.

Craig T.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Over the years the top speed has steadily reduced considerably so now that is less than half of the original.

Before I scrap it and buy a new mower, is there any fixes that are not too expensive? The rest of this mower is in good condition.

Craig T.

:welcome:

Nothing you can buy today will be anywhere as good as the Honda you have at the moment.
You will be well served to fix it.
You would be lucky to get 5 years out of a new one and none of them will go for 20.
So if your mower is in good condition wear wise, fix it.
While you wait for the tranny, take the time to renew all of the bushes .
Trannies from Mulligans are usually the best price & there are a lot of people who will do a rebuild.

cruzenmike

Threads

Craig T.

Completely out of my realm but hydrostatics will over time get weaker. The internal pump/motor has wearable components that once worn will either reduce the pressure or flow of fluid through the drive. I wouldn't know where to begin on a "fix" but you could start searching for a new old stock hydrostatic (likely expensive) or a rebuild kit (if even available).

dfbroxy

Threads
Its a long shot, but have you checked the fluid level of the trannie? If your good with tools you could remove trannie and change fluid to see if that helps, it will only cost a little time and a few quarts of oil. You might also look at the drive pedal linkages for wear and tear.

CraigTbone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the input.

There is a plastic reservoir to add trans fluid and I keep it topped off.

A bit of history....when this was new I would rinse it off with the garden hose after cutting the grass, every time. In 3 years all the bearings were bad: rear axle inner & outer bearings (both sides), 2 bearings each on the blade shafts, several belt idlers & such.

The shop I bought it from replaced them (not under warranty) and ever since then the trans has leaked slightly. The fluid level drops from full to about 3/4 full each time I cut the grass (1/2 acre).

I never figured out how to drain the oil thinking that it was constantly being replaced a little at a time.

If there is a possibility that a drain & new oil might help I will do that.

Is there any chance that a higher viscosity oil would help?

I did not find any listings in Mulligan's web site for a trans or rebuild kit but I sent them an email asking.

Additional input is most welcomed.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Water & mowers do not mix but it looks like you found that out the hard way.
Always blow them down when you have finished mowing.
If you do not have a compressor then use a leaf blower.
Washing should always be done when the mower is stone cold.

If you are loosing that much oil you should be able to see where it is leaking from but you might need to degrease first , when the mower is stone cold.
Heavier oil will help a worn out trannie but not a leak and the leak could be causing the power loss.

If you have managed to get water sucked into the trans then it will be very sick.
FWIW I get most common trans rebuilt for $ 400 ( Aust ) if they are just worn & need machining.
Google mower tansmission repairs if Mulligans draw a blank.
I do not know of any other honest transmission people but all of the transmission companies have lists of authorised repair agents.
You just have to find out what you have in your Honda .
Because Honda only built good quality mowers the trans they used would be repairable, whatever it was.
AFAIK we did not get them down here ( too expensive ) and when they were being made we had import quotas so Honda brought in 41's & 42's.
They were the same price as a small 2 seater car if you want to put the price into perspective.

CraigTbone

Forum Newbie
Threads
The leak is from the rear wheel shaft trans bearings.

I stopped washing after the bearings were replaced. It gets blown off with compressed air after every use.

Hopefully Mulligans will reply to my email with info that they an supply this trans.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

CraigTbone

Forum Newbie
Threads
I inquired at Mulligans about a trans or rebuild kit but have not received a reply.

With a bit more internet searching I found a company called "Honda Lawn Parts", actually not too far from me. They show a transmission for $350. Is this a reasonable price?

Presumably it is a rebuilt trans. Do any of you folk have any knowledge or experience with this supplier?

dfbroxy

Threads
Another thing to check before forking out the big bucks for a trans. Take the belt off the trans pulley and check for wobble and slippage on the shaft. Also in order to get the parts to rebuild the trans, you will have to go to the maker itself...ie..peerless...dana etc. But before you decide to go that route please let Bertsmobile1 tell you about the pros and cons of doing so.