New Snow Joe 100 volt lithium ion cordless outdoor power equipment

MowerMike

Threads
  • / New Snow Joe 100 volt lithium ion cordless outdoor power equipment
https://www.snowjoe.com/collections/100v-ion-cordless-tool-system

Snow Joe has joined the list of higher voltage cordless OPE with their new Ion 100v sytem. The actual nominal operating voltage of their batteries is only 86.4 volts, so if one uses the typical 90% criteria for reduction from full charge without load, these batteries should probably be called 96 volts maximum, but I suspect that the marketing folks probably suggested rounding up to 100 volts to make it sound more impressive.

There are two batteries available in 2.5 Ah and 5.0 Ah capacities. Based on the 86.4 nominal voltage, the capacity of the 5.0 Ah battery is 432 Wh, slightly higher than the EGO 56 volt 7.5 Ah battery, which was the highest capacity battery available until now.

Currently, the only tools available for sale are a snow blower and string trimmer, but a full lineup is promised, including a self-propelled lawn mower, hedge trimmer, leaf blower, chainsaw and polesaw.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
The standard type Li-ion batteries charge up to 4 volts, but operate at rated load at 3.7 volts so the advertising dept. probably likes the bigger number. And now there's the flat pack type battery that puts out a bunch of current in a much smaller package, not real sure what the actual voltage setup is on those. But that 100 volt battery system would sure cost a few bucks and I'd hate to throw it away when the battery pack dies and the replacement costs more than the tool. Just one man's opinion here.

Mark Widmer

Threads
https://www.snowjoe.com/collections/100v-ion-cordless-tool-system
Currently, the only tools available for sale are a snow blower and string trimmer...
Hey, this would be great if somebody actually has a decent cordless electric snow blower. From what I remember, the power requirements of a snow blower have made it tough to find something powerful enough that still gives you a decent run time on one charge.

The standard type Li-ion batteries charge up to 4 volts, but operate at rated load at 3.7 volts so the advertising dept. probably likes the bigger number.
I can't count the number of "12 v" lithium products out there that are really 10.8 V, but use the 4 V (times 3) figure of fully-charged cells just because 12 V is a popular, familiar voltage from before lithium batteries were widespread.
But for any other voltage -- then they are fine quoting 3.6 V times the number of cells. (14.4 V and 18 V, for example)

MowerMike

Threads
Hey, this would be great if somebody actually has a decent cordless electric snow blower. From what I remember, the power requirements of a snow blower have made it tough to find something powerful enough that still gives you a decent run time on one charge.

Run time is a function of auger speed, which is adjustable on this snow blower. Using a single fully charged 5 Ah battery, SnowJoe claims a 30 minute runtime at the minimum auger speed and 15 minutes runtime at the maximum auger speed. You can add a second 5 Ah battery to the second battery port to double those runtimes. The plowing capacity is 12.5 tons/charge and the throw distance is 25 ft at the minimum auger speed, and increases to 16 tons/charge and 30 ft at the maximum auger speed. The cost with a single 5 Ah battery and charger is $799, and a second 5 Ah battery costs $299, so we’re talking well over a grand for this setup.

One nice feature on this snowblower is the power operated discharge chute direction control, so you don’t have to turn a hand crank.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No battery likes to discharge at a high rate , thus the higher the voltage the more happy the battery will be.
Down side is the higher the battery voltage is the greater the chance of arcing across the contacts and then there is electrocution.
100 V is quite capable of ending your days in a flash so to say
People think they are not capable of getting killed just because it is a battery but they are wrong.
Ultimately all of the domestic stuff will be battery.
EPA regulations will ensure that.
So because of the cost idiots will decide to open the packs up , find & replace the dead cells and end up dead themselves.
Then we can watch the EPA & OH&S go hammer & tongs at each other, should be anusing.
And it is closer than you think.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep, 100 volts DC is nothing to play around with, and I do like to play around with batteries too. And a fast discharge on those Li-ion batteries doesn't always go as planned either. Seeing some real advances in battery technology, might get to where the high powered equipment is feasible and affordable at some point. Not quite there yet I think. Be nice to have quiet, odorless, easy starting OPE for sure.