Craftsman DYT 4000 Maintenance

mzdrati

Threads
Hi All.

I am new here, and posted another question in a different section about my trusty Craftsman DYT 4000 riding mower. I'm entering year 12 with this Craftsman / Kohler 19hp DYT 4000 riding mower, and I am thinking about replacement options for when this one dies finally. I wanted to have some idea what to look for in a non-disposable replacement. It seems that the consensus from folks on this forum believe most new stuff that I will see at Home Depot et al is junk.

I perform regular maintenance on my mower, I keep the mower clean, and I have 2 sets of blades so I always have a set that has been sharpened to swap in. It has rewarded me by having been perfectly reliable the entire 11 seasons (although it does blow grey smoke when I engage the blades these days). My lawn is about 1/2 acre of flat grass (and other plants, unfortunately), and I cut it once a week, at the highest setting and I bag the clippings since this mower has never been good at mulching. I store everything indoors, and do not let the mower get wet, and do not cut wet grass.

I am thinking about pulling the DYT 4000 apart for some maintenance before the spring arrives here in NJ in about 5 weeks, and I was thinking about the transaxle (which I have never serviced before). My mower has a Peerless 206-545C and I see no way to drain the oil out of the bottom. The trans has never given me any problems, but should I be thinking about changing the fluid or am I asking for trouble (if it aint broke don't fix it)?

I see that there is a rubber fill plug on top of the trans, but no drain plug. I could try to suck the oil out using a pump and replace with new 80W90. Is this worth my time?

Also- a mechanic friend of mine suggested that I ALWAYS use ethanol free fuel, a good fuel stabilizer, and Lucas upper cylinder lubricant with every tank (none of which have I done before). He also advised that I drain the oil and replace it with a high quality oil - something with zinc- or a full synthetic to keep heat down. Is any of this common practice amongst those who love and care for their mowers?

Thanks!!

Anthony
NJ

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You take good care of your mower and should have a lot of life left in it. I'm still putting anywhere from 40 to 80 hours per year on a 1994 2140 Cub Cadet.

Yes, use NON-ethanol gas but the other stuff isn't necessary.

What does your book say about the trans-axle? I doubt that it needs a fluid change.

Most "S" (auto) oils are formulated to protected catalytic converters. The "C" (trucks) rated oils are not. I use either 15w-40 conventional or 5w-40 synthetic oil in my engines. The synthetic is not needed but doesn't hurt anything, either.

mzdrati

Threads
The manual (which I have in front of me) states nothing at all about any maintenance for the transaxle. Part of my suspicion stems from my long-term ownership of a beloved manual trans BMW station wagon, where the owners manual specifically states that the transmission fluid is rated for the life of vehicle. It does have a drain plug, and when I owned that car I changed it every two years. I don't believe any transmission oil is really "lifetime" ( unless the manufacturer wants that lifetime to be shorter than longer, if you get my drift).

thank you for your reply.

Anthony

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Anthony,
Yes you have to take the tranny out pull the plug and turn it upside down then go have a few beers.
Because yo never do mechanical work after drinking, come back the next day and refill.

Mulligans have a really good technical department and have always provided information in the customers best interest.
Service & repair details will be in the Tecumseh / Peerless service manual ( 691218) which can be found all over the web.
I got mine from https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/.
You might find other useful manuals there if you poke around.
All ofthe other manuals listed in the transmission section are the parts break downs for the transmission with the shown model numbers.
You should have a sticker on the tranny itself another under the seat and perhaps even under the hood to tell you which model your tranny is.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
One add to what has been said so far. I add about 10oz of Seafoam to the transaxle then put it on jack stands and run the rear tires for 5 or 10 min. This will make the grease thinner and easier to remove.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One add to what has been said so far. I add about 10oz of Seafoam to the transaxle then put it on jack stands and run the rear tires for 5 or 10 min. This will make the grease thinner and easier to remove.

Good advice for a grease filled tranny but the DYT 4000 has a hydro transaxle.
Can't find a model number for it and Sears do not list it as being available.

One link says it was a Peerless H2000-006A Silent Trac H2000-006A41240053
Another says Peerless LTH2000
another says Hydro Gear 166768 314-0510

Looks like I was wrong as owner says it has a 206-545C which is a geared transmission not a hydro.

Last edited:

mzdrati

Threads
My manual states that I have a Peerless 206-545C. Does that help identify what I have?

Also- Bert- are you serious or are you kidding about taking out the trans and dumping the fluid out?

Anthony

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Serious.
When I attempt humour I have to put a smiley or 2 in cause we Aussies have a somewhat different sense of humour to the brave & free. :laughing:
The only trannies I know of that have drain plugs are the ones with an external spin on filter ( only found on GT's ) .
So "maintenance free" "lifetime" trannies have to be removed then inverted to drain the oil.
Changing the oil is not really desperately important on the ones with an external brake, but essential with ones that have internal brakes as the worn brake pads can only go into the oil.
Thus they either cause more wear or block the filters .
Most of them use 20w40/50 fully synthetic engine oil but some earlier ones used hydraulic oil.
In any case you can not fill them in situ without getting crud into the oil which sort of defeats the reason for changing it.
Splitting the cases and cleaning all of the filters is better still but it has to be done in a clean DUST FREE enviroment or you end up with more dust ( grit ) in there than when you started.

All mower hydros work the same so if you watch some You Tube videos on rebuilding them you will see what is inside and where they wear.
JD put 5w30 in their K46's which wears quickly in hot Australia so I regularly drain them & replace it with 20w50 and to date most of them are still running strong up to 5 years latter.
We don't push much snow so no need for low viscosity oil.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My manual states that I have a Peerless 206-545C. Does that help identify what I have?

Also- Bert- are you serious or are you kidding about taking out the trans and dumping the fluid out?

Anthony

Looks like some one has a pile of these NOS
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-HUSQVARNA-6-SPEED-PEERLESS-TRANSAXLE-38-42-RIDING-MOWER-206-545C-/390942010144

In which case Blaz was right & I was wrong.
These boxes should have a drain plug if they are oil filled 70W90 gear & diff oil or no drain bolt if they are grease filled.

mzdrati

Threads
That's interesting. It's a pretty nice looking transaxle... So you are saying that the gears in the transaxle I have are assembled packed in grease, and the case is not filled with oil? If that is true- is there anything other than cleaning the outside of the trans that I should do to try to prolong its life?

To your previous reply- are there really manufacturers who specify that in order to change the oil in their transaxles you have to remove the part and dump it out of the fill-hole? That is hard to believe. Can you suggest a reason why this would be the case? Do they want to dissuade people from maintaining this equipment? Sounds like pretty lousy engineering to me, but what do I know...

Anthony