Repairs Toro timecutter model 74721 with kohler engine.

JerryL

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower starts and runs great but after a few minutes it will die and then after a few minutes it will start back up, and sometimes it will continue to run for a period of time and then shut down. I check the fuel and add some and it will start and run for a while.The fuel tank is never empty. I have serviced the Kohler KT725 engine with a new air and fuel filter and changed the spark plugs and nothing changes. I have never seen the fuel tank empty and I am wondering if the kohler vacuum fuel pump does not have enough power to pick up from the fuel tank.

I need some help

Thanks
Jerry

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
https://kohlerpower.com/en/engines/manuals

click on above & enter KT725, scroll down page & your engine service manual will appear, click on service manual & see page 24 troubleshooting. i believe you have stale fuel in gas tank, add a quality brand fuel treatment & fresh high test gas, let us know how it goes. have you changed oil & filter recently? not mentioned in your post.

Last edited:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's possible that your fuel tank isn't venting or that you have a bad ignition coil.

Threads
Yes I agree with Darryl loosen your fuel cap and let it run on a dust free surface.......

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like you are starting and running your bowl dry. Then itis filling back up then it does it again. So plugged fuel line or fuel tank. Could also be a bad fuel pump.

(Account Closed)

Threads
You can rule out the tank & tank vent simply by removing the fuel line at the pump (from the tank).

Let gravity empty the tank into another container.

If it stops flowing you have an issue with the cap/tank, etc.

If it flows fully, move on to the fuel pump.

Coils do fail, often once hot. When the engine starts acting up, pull plug wires & test for spark (spare known good plug).
If no spark, you have a bad coil..

JerryL

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's possible that your fuel tank isn't venting or that you have a bad ignition coil.

I have checked the vent and hose from the air cleaner and they are open and venting. The engine when it stops, stops immediately which doesn't seem to be a coil or it would misfire before it stopped.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Jerry.

JerryL

Forum Newbie
Threads
https://kohlerpower.com/en/engines/manuals

click on above & enter KT725, scroll down page & your engine service manual will appear, click on service manual & see page 24 troubleshooting. i believe you have stale fuel in gas tank, add a quality brand fuel treatment & fresh high test gas, let us know how it goes. have you changed oil & filter recently? not mentioned in your post.

I have changed the oil and oil filter and I use a 10-30W synthetic oil and I use stabul gas treatment.

JerryL

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes I agree with Darryl loosen your fuel cap and let it run on a dust free surface.......

I have loosened the fuel cap and it does not seem to help, but do you know or have knowledge to a way to test the large fuel cap on the toro.

Thank you for your suggestion

Jerry.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
With you letting us know it stops mediately kind of leads me to believe it's a safety switch. I would clean them with some electric contact cleaner. And then see if it continues to happen.