Repairs Major Gas Leak

Threads
Miles ............. what Bert is telling you, that air horn will come off with the carb and the intake manifold in 1 piece , then you unbolt everything.... There are 4 long bolts that hold all that together......

So I see you have the intake bolts already loose ..... You gonna need to take some pictures or have someone make a video of you taking that off of there.... Those springs and linkages go on a certain way...... it's a lil tricky for a novice....

I'll throw a couple links up for you to watch so you will feel a lil better when you split that carb... I didn;t realise you had the Nikki 6 carb LOL......

here's the first link for you ..........https://youtu.be/emsafzhGLC0

enjoy....

MilesCamp

Threads
I find it easier to remove the entire carb & manifold in one unit.
So get underneath, remove the linkages then the 4 bolts that hold the manifold to the heads.

I have the entire carb undone but the rubber breather tube with no clamps and another tube are attached to the back of this part. If I can just pry this off there is little chance of getting crud into the crankcase. I was just wondering if anyone has encountered this before.

Miles

Threads
I have the entire carb undone but the rubber breather tube with no clamps and another tube are attached to the back of this part. If I can just pry this off there is little chance of getting crud into the crankcase. I was just wondering if anyone has encountered this before.

Miles

You should have just 1 hose going the air horn take it off at the air horn and then plug it with a cork or something.....

The other tube in the front should be a fuel line going to the pump..............

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
here's another video for you ....... BTW get some Blue colored loctite for those plate screws...... If they come out, they will be sucked into the engine .............

https://youtu.be/s9SFcnMxqdk

A good Stanley wide window scraper would help you greatly for taking gaskets and such off..... You want to be careful and not tear them.... Gaskets are not pricey by themselves, but if you buy a carb kit for your carb it's about 80 bux I think..... I'm not at the big shop so I cant check the kit to see what the price is on the package.....But I'm close .....

MilesCamp

Threads
Re: Major Gas Leak/carb cleaning

You should have just 1 hose going the air horn take it off at the air horn and then plug it with a cork or something.....

The other tube in the front should be a fuel line going to the pump..............

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

OK, I take the breather hose off at the air horn end, not the engine end. I do have two hoses, the other one has to do with pollution I think, it goes to the top of the gas tank.

I'll make a giant Q-tip and clean all that gunk off.

For that last connection I'm planning on taking the carb off and gently turning it to disconnect unless there is a trick to it or another way. Near impossible to get at it at the top and it's way back at the bottom of it.

It's still wet outside so I'll wait till it dry's a little. (no garage)

Thanks for all the help
Miles

Attachments

• Air Horn (2) copy.jpg
    Air Horn (2) copy.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Air Horn (3) copy.jpg
    Air Horn (3) copy.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 4
Threads

OK, I take the breather hose off at the air horn end, not the engine end. I do have two hoses, the other one has to do with pollution I think, it goes to the top of the gas tank.

I'll make a giant Q-tip and clean all that gunk off.

For that last connection I'm planning on taking the carb off and gently turning it to disconnect unless there is a trick to it or another way. Near impossible to get at it at the top and it's way back at the bottom of it.

It's still wet outside so I'll wait till it dry's a little. (no garage)

Thanks for all the help
Miles

That linkage will come off when you take the carb off ...... That last video I posted shows that.... That other hose is a fuel tank vent ....

Plus Tard Mon Ami .................

MilesCamp

Threads

That linkage will come off when you take the carb off ...... That last video I posted shows that.... That other hose is a fuel tank vent ....

Plus Tard Mon Ami .................

I got the carb off yesterday and everything went pretty well except for those that didn't. Actually all but one area looked pretty clean and that was where the intake manifold & carb join. It looks like dirt may be getting in at the top of where they are connected. (see pic) Also having difficult time getting the gasket off at this juncture. I hope it comes off in one piece.

Next, I'm also having trouble removing the fuel solenoid connected to the bowl - need to find a vise or something else to hold the bowl while I try to break the solenoid lose so I can test it.

Lastly the main jets don't want to come out by hand. Should I pull them out with a tool? (see pic)

I really appreciate all the help you guys have provided. It's a lot more work than I figured.
Miles

Attachments

• Cup.jpg
    Cup.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IntakeManefoldGasket.jpg
    IntakeManefoldGasket.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Needles.jpg
    Needles.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 5
  • O'ring.jpg
    O'ring.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 4

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You have a bad air leak. picture attached. I made a mistake so ignore the red circle and look at the maroon one. Black on the outside of the circle.
carb.jpg

Threads

I got the carb off yesterday and everything went pretty well except for those that didn't. Actually all but one area looked pretty clean and that was where the intake manifold & carb join. It looks like dirt may be getting in at the top of where they are connected. (see pic) Also having difficult time getting the gasket off at this juncture. I hope it comes off in one piece.

Next, I'm also having trouble removing the fuel solenoid connected to the bowl - need to find a vise or something else to hold the bowl while I try to break the solenoid lose so I can test it.

Lastly the main jets don't want to come out by hand. Should I pull them out with a tool? (see pic)

I really appreciate all the help you guys have provided. It's a lot more work than I figured.
Miles

The jets in the white fuel transfer tube can be pushed out with something...... If they are tight in there just leave them in there.... You can clean the holes while they are in there, ............

Threads
There are other videos on You Tube besides the ones I posted to you so PLEASE take your time and watch them before you get too deep in your project.....

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!