Repairs Major Gas Leak

MilesCamp

Threads
I have an Ariens 46" Garden Tractor #936085 with a Briggs & Stratton 20hp #40R877 engine for about 4 years now and been very happy with it until yesterday. My problem is with the engine. It was taking 10-20 seconds of cranking to start the engine and the mower belt had stretched. So I did my annual maintenance a little early by replacing all filters (gas,air & oil), changed the oil, new plugs and replaced the belt. It fired up in 1-2 seconds and I did a tour of my 3 acres. It surged once or twice which I attributed to perhaps a drop or two of condensation since it had been sitting for a month or so. Parked it and did a couple of hours of work, then came back to put it up. There was a heavy smell of raw gas and I found a major drip at the front of the machine. After removing the hood I located the drip at what may be the intake manifold. I looked for a leak from the hoses, gas filter, gas tank, gas pump & carb but I could not find any other external source. The "intake manifold" had what appeared to be a vent at the bottom where the gas was dripping from.
I had an epiphany last night that since we had some freezing nights that perhaps something may have cracked. But is that were so could I have drove it around for 20 minutes running well?
Any suggestions what it might be and where I should start would be greatly appreciated. I've included some pictures that might give a clearer idea of what I've described.
Cheers,
Miles

Attachments

• MyEngine.jpg
    MyEngine.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 14
  • GasLeaksHere.jpg
    GasLeaksHere.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DrippingHere.jpg
    DrippingHere.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Opening.jpg
    Opening.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 12
Threads
It's gonna run perfect and not leak gas when you are cutting grass...... The engine is using the gas and the carb is not overflowing......

Your carb needs a good cleaning possibly a new kit also..... The carb is overflowing and it's coming out of your muffler.....

You need to check your oil also and make sure there is no gas in it ..... If it's over the full mark and you smell gas you gonna have to dump the oil and put new oil in.....

But you gonna have to fix the carb issue before you change the oil....

Check that out first then get back with us... It could be a head gasket also......

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The EPA banned carburettors with external drip tubes.
So now they all "leak" into the engine.
The carb leaks because the float valve is not shutting the fuel supply off.
So it is off with the carb and do some cleaning.

You will also have to check your oil for fuel contamination.
If contaminated you will have to change it twice to get rid of all of the fuel.

Carb cleaning instructions are at http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/

MilesCamp

Threads
It's gonna run perfect and not leak gas when you are cutting grass...... The engine is using the gas and the carb is not overflowing......

Your carb needs a good cleaning possibly a new kit also..... The carb is overflowing and it's coming out of your muffler.....

You need to check your oil also and make sure there is no gas in it ..... If it's over the full mark and you smell gas you gonna have to dump the oil and put new oil in.....

But you gonna have to fix the carb issue before you change the oil....

Check that out first then get back with us... It could be a head gasket also......

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Thanks for the advice. The weather dropped again, 32/18, and won't be up again until Monday. Oil looked good and fresh I'll double check after I check the carb. Thanks again, Miles

MilesCamp

Threads
The EPA banned carburettors with external drip tubes.
So now they all "leak" into the engine.
The carb leaks because the float valve is not shutting the fuel supply off.
So it is off with the carb and do some cleaning.

You will also have to check your oil for fuel contamination.
If contaminated you will have to change it twice to get rid of all of the fuel.

Carb cleaning instructions are at http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/

Thanks for the advice. The weather dropped again, 32/18, and won't be up again until Monday. I don't have a garage or shop. Oil looked good and fresh I'll double check after I check the carb. I'll post what I find. Thanks again, Miles

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It would be wise to install (and use) a fuel shutoff valve on any engine that's gravity fed.

MilesCamp

Threads
Re: Major Gas Leak/carburetor cleaning

This is my first time in a carburetor and this is my first riding mower so please bare with me. I have an Ariens Garden Tractor model #936085. It has a Briggs & Stratton 20hp 40R877 motor with a V-Twin #796227 carburetor.

How do I remove the item the air filter is connected to on top of the air intake horn? Does it just pop off? I can't find any screws or other hold downs. Is it called the blower housing referred to in "bertsmobile1" link? I noticed my crankcase breather tube is connected to this part and not the air intake horn like picture #2 in the carburetor cleaning directions in the link "bertsmobile1" gave me. http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_intek_v-twin_carb.asp picture #2

Cheers,
Miles
PS: I noticed in the link there were a couple dozen carbs listed however mine, 796227, was not one of them.

20190210_152359 copy.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I find it easier to remove the entire carb & manifold in one unit.
So get underneath, remove the linkages then the 4 bolts that hold the manifold to the heads.