Engine Couple JD Questions: Deck Rust and Engine Startup

bcemail

Threads
Use leaf blower on tractor after mowing or wipe down by hand, hosing off tractor with water will create mechanical & electrical problems. Using water on electrical components battery, switches, relays, etc. pulleys, bearings, engines, deck components, etc. will create premature component failure. Using hands & eyes ensure all electrical connections are free from rust & corrosion & are tight & secure. A machine/welding shop will be able to make deck repair for a fair price.

Thanks, I have tried to get into the habit of using a leaf blower, but didn't know when I first got the mower. I'll avoid hosing it off!

bcemail

Threads
Going to hijack my own thread, since I don't want to start too many new ones!

Last summer, one of the terminals on my battery kind of blew apart/the bolt hole is deformed/melted looking. Wasn't too old but Lowe's wouldn't replace (?!). I first got a small alligator clamp to hold the wire on the terminal, but the rubber started smoking a bit. Do I just need a beefier clamp? And is any bolt OK for the terminals? The other one looks like it has rusted, but doesn't seem to limit function at all. I just bought standard bolts, so I'm guessing maybe zinc plated?

Thanks again for all the help!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Going to hijack my own thread, since I don't want to start too many new ones!

Last summer, one of the terminals on my battery kind of blew apart/the bolt hole is deformed/melted looking. Wasn't too old but Lowe's wouldn't replace (?!). I first got a small alligator clamp to hold the wire on the terminal, but the rubber started smoking a bit. Do I just need a beefier clamp? And is any bolt OK for the terminals? The other one looks like it has rusted, but doesn't seem to limit function at all. I just bought standard bolts, so I'm guessing maybe zinc plated?

Thanks again for all the help!

You have a bad connection somewhere that is causing a high resistance .
Check all of the heavy wire connections at both ends of the cables, clean them & make sure the connection is tight.
I overpaint them with liquid electrical tape.

As for the battery, file the terminal flat then drill a pilot hole for a short stout self tapper.
Fit a proper copper battery terminal on your power wire then screw them together and again paint over them.

Your starter could also be going bad.
If it is too hot to touch after a TIMED 30 sec crank then it needs looking at.