Mower engage cable

Regwal

Threads
Craftsman 18.5 42" cut Model 917.276750. My neighbor's mower and won't engage mower belt. Engage lever moves freely. Removed lever and bracket to get better look and it seems something has slipped or either cable is too long connecting engage lever to mower deck. Cable is held in place with wire ties and appears that is the way to adjust slack. Cable end is fixed and looks like it hasn't been tampered with. Would any one perhaps know what length is proper or how to compensate for slack. All looks okay at mower end.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the deck off then remove the tensioning arm
Check the hole.
Usually it is very oval & the bush it runs on is also worn beyond servicable limits.
Not sure what you mean by held on by cable ties.
The cable is anchored on the deck by a bracket some of which had a small amount of adjustment .
At the control end it is also in a bracket but there is no adjustment there.
The lever itself is also subject to wear at the pivot end as no one ever lubes it.

Threads
Check the hole.
Usually it is very oval & the bush it runs on is also worn beyond servicable limits.
The cable is anchored on the deck by a bracket some of which had a small amount of adjustment .
The lever itself is also subject to wear at the pivot end as no one ever lubes it.

I know what he means by the cable ties..... It's just the loose middle part of the cable that has to be held up under the mower frame..... In fact there is a hole in the frame for a clip to press fit in, but they are puny so when you take it out the first time it breaks......

We do those cables often down here.... We have 2 of those riders at the big shop..... Running like champs.............

Threads
Check the hole.

Regwal............. This video should help you with your issue..... It shows the bracket that Bert was talking about......

Let us know how it comes out......

Threads
Regwal .........

Skip the video to the 6:00 minute mark...... The first part is a skit when he was on vacation.............

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bou it might elp if you put the link to the video in.

Regwal

Threads
I found the problem after dropping deck away from mower. It is all rusted out and engage pulley will not disengage on it's own. this caused me to think cable being slack at lever was the problem. Especially when seeing those zip ties. The zip ties were being used to keep cable attached to lever by the way. Deck is all rusted out and beyond repair. The lady lives on SS so I will locate a deck and repair for her. That will be my good deed on this project. Thanks for the input guys.

Attachments

• mower cable.png
    mower cable.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 8

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is very nice of you.
Looks like some one has made up a replacement cable.
Those decks are very prone to rusting out.
If she has a compressor or leaf blower see if you can get her to drop the deck to the lowest position after mowing then blow the deck clean