Need help with my lawn!

dthor68

Forum Newbie
Threads
I could really use some help with my lawn. It is February and I already have a weed problem.

To start, I live in the upstate of South Carolina. My yard seems to be a mixture of grasses. The front yard is mostly bermuda grass that is dormant right now and somewhat patchy. The front lawn is dotted with hundreds of these broad leaved weeds cover about 6" squared. Last spring I pulled them all by hand and they were back in less than two weeks. My neighbor tells me I need to use a pre-emergent. However, the weeds are already there and his yard does not look much better. I had planned on buying weed and feed but everyone I know says that is a waste of time and money. At the moment I am not that worried with backyard. I am thinking it is mostly fescue?

So, is there anything I should be doing now before spring gets here? It would be so nice to have a schedule that told me everything I should do and what time to do it, I am great at following directions. Can not seem to find anything like that online.

Thanks for any help,
Derek

stevestd

Threads
It is not uncommon to get weeds at the beginning of spring before the lawn starts growing. I usually spray the weeds with a selective weed killer such as Bin-Die at that time. A spray on weed and feed can also work well. Make sure you do not cut your lawn too low and keep it fertilized. I often use Scotts (i.e. normal slow release and not the weed kill variety) as you do not have to water it in, but have also had good success with other brands such as Shirleys No 17 to give an instant boost to your lawn; and follow the instructions and frequency of application on the bag. A horticulturist once told me that a healthy lawn will keep weeds away. Get free advice from you local nursery (or similar) if you are not sure what to do, and then you can buy your products where you get the best service.