I suspect I'm missing a linkage bar...

Boomzilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pulled this Craftsman mower with a Honda engine from a trash pile. I've run a tank of fuel cleaner through the engine, and have repeatedly choked the carb with my thumb. The carburetor is so clean you could eat from it. I've also pulled both fuel hoses and the petcock - all are clear. I also pulled the fuel bowl off the carb and it's clean also.

I can start the engine choked, but as soon as the choke plate opens, the engine stalls and stops. Since it's getting enough fuel (I think), I'm suspecting that there's an actuator rod on the choke actuator that either ties to the throttle body level or to a thermal actuator. But I'm not sure...

I've attached photos of the engine & the carb. What am I missing?

Thanks - Boomzilla

IMG-0242.jpgIMG-0247.jpgIMG-0243.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
the missing components may be part of the air filter housing. without the numbers and letters that are stamped into the block just below the engine cover we are just guessing what you are missing. the number format will be 4-5 letters foliowed by 7 numbers and a 3-4 letters in that same area as the rest of the letters and numbers.

Will look something like GCACA-1234567 A1A

Boomzilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
Stamped on the air filter holder plate is " A HONDA >PP< "

Printed on the bottom of the air filter holder is "03A06"

Stamped on the inside of the air filter cover is "17281-ZOL-0500"

I'm assuming the last is the number we're looking for?

THANKS for the help, by the way!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Stamped on the air filter holder plate is " A HONDA >PP< "

Printed on the bottom of the air filter holder is "03A06"

Stamped on the inside of the air filter cover is "17281-ZOL-0500"

I'm assuming the last is the number we're looking for?

THANKS for the help, by the way!

I am looking for the prefix, serial number and suffix off of the engine block. It will be stamped into the aluminum engine block below the blower housing of the engine. There is normally a notch cut off of the blower housing to reveal the numbers. Those numbers are the model and spec numbers of the engine. Will look look similar to GCAAA-1234567 and then something that looks similar to A1A

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to take off the carb and clean the jets correctly.
Take it back off, and removed the bowl, and put a pic of it up on here.
A pic of the carb from the bottom.

Boomzilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
You need to take off the carb and clean the jets correctly.
Take it back off, and removed the bowl, and put a pic of it up on here.
A pic of the carb from the bottom.

Why not just buy a new one for $18?

Threads
Why not just buy a new one for $18?

Hey Mon Ami...... I have the answer to that question ........... It will be a headache from Ebay or Amazon...... A reject carb from a factory that you don't want to deal with..... Yes you might get lucky and get a good one.....

The Honda carbs are so easy to clean......... You see that big phillips head screw ???? That has something to do with your issue..... You didn't explain it all in detail though......

Ok do like Fish said and take it back off..... I know they are a PITA with all the gaskets and the heat block and air dam......

I tell you what instead of typing all this I will post a link for you to watch a video...... It's so simple to do and a lot of people just don't know about this idle port cleaning ............

https://youtu.be/uAHdhuDpeKw

Oh and I will add to your Question about a choke actuator....... Yes there is a wax piece inside the block that pushes the choke rod out and the spring pushes the rod back in.......

If you have any more questions just ask us again and Let us know how it comes out Mon Ami ~!~!

Plus Tard .................