What tow behind to buy? 10 acres hay field.

BurdTurd

Forum Newbie
Threads
10-12 acres hay field(currently cut 2-3 inches tall)
Have a 650CC with Hitch would prefer to get a tow behind with large deck to cut down time of job and to not have to purchase a new riding mower.
Wanting something I can go out and cut once a month to keep it managed during spring/summer.
$5000 or there abouts is the budget.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What size tractor do you have? Does it have a rear PTO or are you looking for a unit with a separate stand alone engine.

Pumper54

Threads
I picked up a used Swisher Trail mower so called because it "trails behind" the tow vehicle not because it cuts trails. Lots of people get confused. Here is a link to their website: https://www.swisherinc.com/categories/trail-mowers.html

I cut about 2 acres with it towing it behind an old Murray mower that I removed the deck from as it was giving me issues.
Tom

BurdTurd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry should have mentioned its for a UTV, I do not have a tractor.(And do not want one lol.. Hope to god thats not another expense for us!)

BurdTurd

Forum Newbie
Threads
I picked up a used Swisher Trail mower so called because it "trails behind" the tow vehicle not because it cuts trails. Lots of people get confused. Here is a link to their website: https://www.swisherinc.com/categories/trail-mowers.html

I cut about 2 acres with it towing it behind an old Murray mower that I removed the deck from as it was giving me issues.
Tom

How quickly are you able to do that 2 acres? I was looking at those but was worried a "finish" mower may not be able to handle thick(compared to grass) hay.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't close your mind to a real tractor and PTO driven mower.
Usually you can pick up old 20Hp to 60Hp tractors for a lot less than a new Swisher, not that there is anything wrong with the Swisher.
Better still if it is a pre 80's diesel with a mechanical variable stroke pump because there is nothing really to service other than the filters and greasing.
The landlord has a 1/2 dozen of them, all from small acerage farms that have been gobbled up by urban expansion.
When mum & dad get a cheque for $ 10,000,000 to $ 30,000,000 and a strict vacancy date they usually don't care how much their old gear goes for.
Many in fact sell the lot to scrap merchants.

An old 20Hp tractor with a 72" slasher will knock over 10 acres in 2 to 3 hours for about $ 10 in fuel.
Avoid petrol tractors as they are generally headaches .
The landlord has each one fitted with a different impliment so if we are laying ag pipe, he just fires up the tractor with the pipe laying ripper on the back.
Plant a tree or set a fence post then the tractor with the auger on the back to dig the hole then the tractor with the jib on to hold the post.
The most he ever paid for a tractor was $ 2000 Aust which is about 1/2 what a Swisher costs locally without the UTV.

Pumper54

Threads
How quickly are you able to do that 2 acres? I was looking at those but was worried a "finish" mower may not be able to handle thick(compared to grass) hay.

I enjoy just riding the mower and mowing the pasture so I am not in a rush but it takes me a couple of hours to do the thing. I did mow the field with a 21" self propelled walk behind mower once and that took 2 days. The field is mostly Bahia grass and I need to sharpen the blades a couple times a year but the soil is sandy so that effects the blades more so then the grass. You can look into a rough cut brush mower if you are worried about the hay being to heavy for a finish mower.
TomTom on mower.jpg

Last edited: