Starting Briggs Intek 22 hp

Homesteadr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there,
I am pulling whats left of my hair out with this JD L118 tractor.
Motor is a Intek Briggs 22HP Twin, 280 hours on it
The tractor came with the house and has always had an issue with having to crank for a minute or so before starting and running normally. I had never cared much about it till now that I am using it for snow removal and excessive cranking is killing my battery in the cold weather.
After starting it will run perfectly and even after shutting it down it will fire back up immediately. After sitting overnight the issue comes back where i have to crank for about a minute before it will fire. If i dump fuel into the carb intake it fires up and runs perfectly.
I am getting tired of having to dump fuel down the intake.
Here's what I have done so far with no success.
I have replaced the fuel delivery system from tank to carb completely including fuel pickup tube and fuel pump. I have checked the pulse line and confirmed no cracks or splits. I have adjusted valve lash to proper clearance 5 mil intake and 7 mil exhaust.
When i pull the fuel hose off the outlet of pump and crank engine over it does NOT put out a steady stream of fuel.
I also sealed the valve covers with gasket sealant. I was sure it was a crankcase pressure issue, and i still think it is, but am at a loss at what to look at next.
I have not pulled the carb apart yet, but I am not concerned with it, as i do not have proper fuel exiting the pump when engine is cold.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kyle

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi there,
I am pulling whats left of my hair out with this JD L118 tractor.
Motor is a Intek Briggs 22HP Twin, 280 hours on it
The tractor came with the house and has always had an issue with having to crank for a minute or so before starting and running normally. I had never cared much about it till now that I am using it for snow removal and excessive cranking is killing my battery in the cold weather.
After starting it will run perfectly and even after shutting it down it will fire back up immediately. After sitting overnight the issue comes back where i have to crank for about a minute before it will fire. If i dump fuel into the carb intake it fires up and runs perfectly.
I am getting tired of having to dump fuel down the intake.
Here's what I have done so far with no success.
I have replaced the fuel delivery system from tank to carb completely including fuel pickup tube and fuel pump. I have checked the pulse line and confirmed no cracks or splits. I have adjusted valve lash to proper clearance 5 mil intake and 7 mil exhaust.
When i pull the fuel hose off the outlet of pump and crank engine over it does NOT put out a steady stream of fuel.
I also sealed the valve covers with gasket sealant. I was sure it was a crankcase pressure issue, and i still think it is, but am at a loss at what to look at next.
I have not pulled the carb apart yet, but I am not concerned with it, as i do not have proper fuel exiting the pump when engine is cold.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kyle

Fuel pump does NOT gush out fuel, I suspect you have a choke issue, is it closing entirely, is the linkage "hung" or sticking ?? also the Briggs twins do seem to take a tad bit more cranking before awakening to duty, and ya might think about re adjusting the valves to .004 thou. .. just my thoughts..

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
It sounds to me like your choke may not be closing completely.

Edit - Oh, I see Boo beat me to it.

Homesteadr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks I will check into that next chance i get.

deminin

Threads
I had the same issue on my B&S 24hp....had to crank forever to get it started. Then, like others suggested, I checked the choke linkage, and the cable that operates the choke had shifted and never closed the choke. A simple adjustment of the cable, And tightening the clamp that secures it, fixed the problem. Now, a couple of seconds at full choke, and it starts right up.