Top "No Load" RPM on a 18HP Vanguard V-Twin

Threads
Dang I was speed reading again when I read your last post.... Yes if your Toro says it's 2850 then you have to change them.....

Did you buy the engine from a local dealer ???? If yes then they will do the work for free ......... If not then you have to do it or take it to a dealer to have them do it and that's your best bet to keep it under warranty ...........

cruzenmike

Threads
When I looked to repower my Lazer Z I reached out to Briggs directly and the most suitable replacement is a 23hp engine since they do not carry a current production model 18hp that is set to run at 3,650. Since everything that is belt driven on these machines, matching the top no load speed to your old engine is likely the single most important consideration. Otherwise your blade tip speed, your hydro pump flow rates and drive motors will all work at a lower output than before. Going over the original RPM by a significant amount will lead to premature failure of belts, pumps and bearings everywhere.

Sean2202

Threads
When I looked to repower my Lazer Z I reached out to Briggs directly and the most suitable replacement is a 23hp engine since they do not carry a current production model 18hp that is set to run at 3,650. Since everything that is belt driven on these machines, matching the top no load speed to your old engine is likely the single most important consideration. Otherwise your blade tip speed, your hydro pump flow rates and drive motors will all work at a lower output than before. Going over the original RPM by a significant amount will lead to premature failure of belts, pumps and bearings everywhere.

I am confused by your statement that B&S states they do not make a 18hp engine that is set to run at 3650. That is about what my replacement is running. You are correct in that I do not want to overrun my pump. $$$$

@Boudreaux I did not talk to a B&S tech nor did I purchase locally. My mistake. I did look up the link that I gave you from R&R ( I get most of my parts through here they specialize in golf course equipment) and took the model number etc. and then purchased it ( Amazon)

If this engine is rated to run at 3650 and I govern it down to 2850 will it matter at all for longevity? I will check out the linkages on my old engine and compare them to the new one.

I do have one unit in my shop that has a similar replacement B&S engine and it was replaced a few years back. I will check the model number etc on this one and compare the gov springs and settings as well.

When I get back to this I will update what I find.

Threads
I am confused by your statement that B&S states they do not make a 18hp engine that is set to run at 3650. That is about what my replacement is running. You are correct in that I do not want to overrun my pump. $$$$

@Boudreaux I did not talk to a B&S tech nor did I purchase locally. My mistake. I did look up the link that I gave you from R&R ( I get most of my parts through here they specialize in golf course equipment) and took the model number etc. and then purchased it ( Amazon)

If this engine is rated to run at 3650 and I govern it down to 2850 will it matter at all for longevity? I will check out the linkages on my old engine and compare them to the new one.

I do have one unit in my shop that has a similar replacement B&S engine and it was replaced a few years back. I will check the model number etc on this one and compare the gov springs and settings as well.

When I get back to this I will update what I find.

I think what Mike mean't was Briggs doesn't sell them out the box set at 3650......

Yes Sean check out the springs and where they are hooked to....... Hole position ETC ..........There will be multiple holes on there.........

Yes please don't burn your pump $$$$$ for sure......

Let us know Mon Ami .........

cruzenmike

Threads
I think what Mike mean't was Briggs doesn't sell them out the box set at 3650.......

That is correct. But for whatever reason, Briggs didn't recommend another 18hp and then adjusting the rpm to what I needed. My Exmark isn't a hot rod, so it's not like I want or need a larger engine.

Could there be significant changes in the Vanguard line from the mid 2000's to now? I know that my engine was assembled in Japan, possibly under Daihatsu. I thought Briggs moved Vanguard production to the US a few years ago?

Sean2202

Threads
My new engine says "made in Japan" on the valve cover. Unless only the valve cover is made is Japan. I believe my original engine was early 2000's

Threads
Yes I agree with IL Engine, Briggs is in the process of Moving if it hasn't happened already......