Grasshopper Dozer Blade chatters

Ida-Boy

Threads
I have used my Grasshopper 725 for years now pushing snow and it has done a great job. The last few years it has become louder and louder, making noise as if it chattering. New cutting edge, skid shoes and no difference. I even put a bolt to replace the pin since it has worn the adjustment hole (pin that allows you to adjust the angel of the blade) with no difference. There is slight movement as it attaches to the frame of the mower but the dealer says that is normal.
The only thing I see left is the linkage, with the foot bar that lifts the blade. That is all loose and think that may be the issue.
Anyone out there had this issue?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you able to change the attack angle of the blade at all? I don't have any experience with snow blades on mowers but on my truck plows it makes a big difference. Also new edges tend to chatter until they get worn-in.

Ida-Boy

Threads
Are you able to change the attack angle of the blade at all? I don't have any experience with snow blades on mowers but on my truck plows it makes a big difference. Also new edges tend to chatter until they get worn-in.

Dealer suggested raising the attach point (plastic like blocks) on the mower to lower the blade. This will be my next step once I can get back to the barn where there is heat. I'll post my findings on weather it works. Thank you for your reply.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dealer suggested raising the attach point (plastic like blocks) on the mower to lower the blade. This will be my next step once I can get back to the barn where there is heat. I'll post my findings on weather it works. Thank you for your reply.

You're welcome.

Keep in mind that on dry or wet pavement with little to no snow, any blade will tend to chatter because there's just too much resistance, so forces build and release rythmically. That's to be expected and not much you can do about it. Any "slop" in the hardware will accentuate the chatter as angles and forces flux more severely...and all that movement makes things wear even faster of course.

If the plow only chatters when you're trying to scrape every last bit of snow and ice, then I'd suggest just using a little ice melt instead or resorting to using a wide pusher shovel for fine cleanup.

Ida-Boy

Threads
You're welcome.

Keep in mind that on dry or wet pavement with little to no snow, any blade will tend to chatter because there's just too much resistance, so forces build and release rythmically. That's to be expected and not much you can do about it. Any "slop" in the hardware will accentuate the chatter as angles and forces flux more severely...and all that movement makes things wear even faster of course.

If the plow only chatters when you're trying to scrape every last bit of snow and ice, then I'd suggest just using a little ice melt instead or resorting to using a wide pusher shovel for fine cleanup.

Well, it seems as if over time it may have increased in noise level, but living in the country as I do I never had a neighbor complain before about the noise I was making. The guy across the street came over about 9 PM a while back and complained about the noise. I know there is some play in the mount but just not sure what else I can do to please the snowflakes around me. When the wife and daughter need to be at work a 5 AM its either clean it at 4 AM or the evening before. I didn't think 9 PM was bothering anyone.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Offer the neighbor a pair of ear plugs. :laughing:

But seriously, snow removal noise is usually overlooked as a necessary thing. As long as a machine isn't missing its muffler or backfiring or something they have a lot of nerve to complain in my opinion. My snow removal activities know no time or noise constraints, although I do try to be as quiet as possible between midnight and 6 am.

Last edited:

Ida-Boy

Threads
Offer the neighbor a pair of ear plugs. :laughing:

But seriously, snow removal noise is usually overlooked as a necessary thing. As long as a machine isn't missing its muffler or backfiring or something they have a lot of nerve to complain in my opinion. My snow removal activities know no time or noise constraints, although I do try to be as quite as possible between midnight and 6 am.

I agree: Seen a piece Fox 2 News today about St Clair Shores residents complaining about a neighbor snow blowing a disabled neighbor’s driveway about 9:30 PM. Police were called and said he was violating the noise ordinance. I am guessing that the guy that complained maybe wanted his drive done for nothing also, LOL. But seriously I try to show respect to my neighbors... even though they have lived across the street for over 2 years and have that "broken arm syndrome"… can't wave and be neighborly.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Snow removal activities are often (usually?) exempted from noise ordinances. Its seen as an emergency activity that just needs to be done.

I've been doing snow removal commercially for 20 years and have only received one noise complaint. The funny thing is that I was plowing a neighbor's driveway that's on a right-of-way across my property at 10 p.m. for free. It was the neighbor I plowed for free who complained! It was a wet sticky snow and I was just dropping my blade a couple times on my own driveway to clear it. Since then he has to pay me to do it, lol.