Grasshopper Dozer Blade chatters

Ida-Boy

Threads
Snow removal activities are often (usually?) exempted from noise ordinances. Its seen as an emergency activity that just needs to be done.

I've been doing snow removal commercially for 20 years and have only received one noise complaint. The funny thing is that I was plowing a neighbor's driveway that's on a right-of-way across my property at 10 p.m. for free. It was the neighbor I plowed for free who complained! It was a wet sticky snow and I was just dropping my blade a couple times on my own driveway to clear it. Since then he has to pay me to do it, lol.

All I can say is, You Can't Fix Stupid. He was getting a neighborly helping hand and he blew it, LOL.

Ida-Boy

Threads
One other thought. You could perhaps put a urethane edge on your blade. It will make less noise and clean better in some conditions but I don't think they scrape compacted snow and ice as well. https://www.polyurethanesnowplowblades.com/tractor-snow-plow-blades
I ordered one for my dozer blade. Picked it up Friday since they are only about 17 miles from me. Won't know until we get another snow if this will work but in the meantime the dozer blade is getting cleaned up and readjusted.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I ordered one for my dozer blade. Picked it up Friday since they are only about 17 miles from me. Won't know until we get another snow if this will work but in the meantime the dozer blade is getting cleaned up and readjusted.

Nice! It will be a lot quieter.

A buddy of mine has "U" edges on the Boss DXT on his mason dump and it's way quitter than my VXT. He has to be at a church lot at 3 or 4 a.m. in a residential neighborhood in order to have things cleaned up for morning mass. Parts of the pavement are pretty degraded and rough. Complaints from the neighbors have stopped since he put the U edges on. I have a wide urethane push shovel and it glides easily and is almost silent.

It will do a lot less damage on gravel and grass too.

Would love to hear how it works out for you. Your neighbor will probably complain about the engine noise now. :laughing:

Last edited:

Ida-Boy

Threads
Nice! It will be a lot quieter.

A buddy of mine has "U" edges on the Boss DXT on his mason dump and it's way quitter than my VXT. He has to be at a church lot at 3 or 4 a.m. in a residential neighborhood in order to have things cleaned up for morning mass. Parts of the pavement are pretty degraded and rough. Complaints from the neighbors have stopped since he put the U edges on. I have a wide urethane push shovel and it glides easily and is almost silent.

It will do a lot less damage on gravel and grass too.

Would love to hear how it works out for you. Your neighbor will probably complain about the engine noise now. :laughing:

Well I installed a 1/2" X 4" by 60" Polyurethane Snow Plow Blades Edge on the dozer Blade. Its above freezing and the snow has melted but I took a quick trip to the driveway and gave it a try. My dozer blade now seems as if it is bouncing with the rubberized edge on it. I only tried it for about 10 feet and did not apply any pressure on the blade with my foot so I will have to say the jury is out until the next snow.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well I installed a 1/2" X 4" by 60" Polyurethane Snow Plow Blades Edge on the dozer Blade. Its above freezing and the snow has melted but I took a quick trip to the driveway and gave it a try. My dozer blade now seems as if it is bouncing with the rubberized edge on it. I only tried it for about 10 feet and did not apply any pressure on the blade with my foot so I will have to say the jury is out until the next snow.
Did they give you instruction on how to break it in? I've been told drive backwards about 100 yards on wet pavement, at least for truck plows. Angle needs to get worn in.

I'm actually going to put a poly edge on my truck plow after researching options. My steel one is worn out. I gave up trying to get the edges off. Just don't have the right tools for hardware that big and rusted.

Ida-Boy

Threads
Did they give you instruction on how to break it in? I've been told drive backwards about 100 yards on wet pavement, at least for truck plows. Angle needs to get worn in.

I'm actually going to put a poly edge on my truck plow after researching options. My steel one is worn out. I gave up trying to get the edges off. Just don't have the right tools for hardware that big and rusted.

No instructions, and this is a link to the installation page that does not say anything about "break in".

https://www.polyurethanesnowplowblades.com/about/installation

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads

curt keiser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, it seems as if over time it may have increased in noise level, but living in the country as I do I never had a neighbor complain before about the noise I was making. The guy across the street came over about 9 PM a while back and complained about the noise. I know there is some play in the mount but just not sure what else I can do to please the snowflakes around me. When the wife and daughter need to be at work a 5 AM its either clean it at 4 AM or the evening before. I didn't think 9 PM was bothering anyone.
You need a new "neighbor"!