Oil filter check for Kawa FR691V

iclick

Threads
Just bought a Fram Ultra (synthetic) filter #XG4967 for my new Raptor 52" w/ 23hp Kawa engine based on reference to a "Agrimetal BWSP 180 w/Kawasaki 23 HP V-Twin Engine" in Fram's application list. It assumed it would be a match but further checking shows the Fram to have a gasket OD of 2.41" while the Kawa 49065-7007 is 2.75". Thread size is the same. If the gasket surface on the engine will fit the smaller OD filter it should work okay, I would assume, but I can't check without removing the filter and I'm not ready to service it just yet. I picked this filter since Walmart carries it and my Lowe's, who carries Kawa filters, is not as conveniently located. Any help would be appreciated before I return the Fram filter.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
You've got a new machine. I'd suggest a Kawi filter or at least get a Wix or Napa Gold if you can get one that fits.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly to answer your question.
Measure the inner diameter of the machined surface that the rubber ring seals against.
If it is smaller then the rubber ring it will physically fit in the space.
I have no opinion about filters by brand.
The are a lot more complicated than most would think.
Monkeys with video cameras but no understanding of materials technology like to cut them up & post videos about what they found.

I use nothing but filters sourced from my aftermarket suppliers.
In the USA you have 4 major ones , Oregon, Prime Line, Stens & Rotary.
Down here all of their stuff has a full 12 month warranty & I would imagine what we get would be the same as what you get.

Because of EU recycling laws Fram filters are made from different materials to those of Wix or Champion.
I am yet to see some one apraise one who actually knows the physical properties of the materials used.

iclick

Threads
Fram filters are the worst. You've got a new machine. I'd suggest a Kawi filter or at least get a Wix or Napa Gold if you can get one that fits.

The low-end Frams are the worst. Their Ultra (synthetic) filters are among the best. Do your research. I don't want to argue filter virtue in this thread and would only like to get info on gasket fitment. TIA.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The low-end Frams are the worst. Their Ultra (synthetic) filters are among the best. Do your research. I don't want to argue filter virtue in this thread and would only like to get info on gasket fitment. TIA.

How hard is it to just get a Kawasaki filter that fits? Really. Brand new machine and you're screwing around with buying multiple filters and posting on-line for help. SMH. Do as you please...

iclick

Threads
Measure the inner diameter of the machined surface that the rubber ring seals against.
If it is smaller then the rubber ring it will physically fit in the space.

I just bought my Raptor and will do an oil change probably in April after five hours of use, as per the manual. I'll need to return the Fram sooner than that if it won't fit and was hoping to get some insight here ahead of time. I will call Fram on Monday and if I can't get any solid info from them I'll return it and buy a Wix, sold by a nearby O'Reilly's, as I know they fit and are good filters. I have nothing against Kawasaki filters except they're overpriced ($16 locally) and are not as easy to find locally. I'm wary of ordering from Amazon because they may be knock-offs. A friend is a lawn pro and uses B&S filters in his Hustler, so I could also go that route.

iclick

Threads
How hard is it to just get a Kawasaki filter that fits? Really. Brand new machine and you're screwing around with buying multiple filters and posting on-line for help. SMH. Do as you please...

I'm new to this forum and have obviously come to the wrong place for help. My mistake.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
No, you're just being penny-wise and pound-foolish. Darrel gave you good advice--listen to him. I'll tell you right now that I wouldn't put a filter on an engine with a gasket mis-match like that.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Iclick, you came to this forum asking for help from people in the know. Then when you get answers you don’t agree with, you criticize the responders. You came to the right forum, just came with the wrong attitude. Most the the techs and pros on this site will recommend using the engine maker brand, especially while in the warranty period. In my opinion you can do what ever you attitude tells you to, but don’t badmouth the people on this site who are trying to help you by answering your questions.

iclick

Threads
You came to this forum asking for help from people in the know. Then when you get answers you don’t agree with, you criticize the responders.

I asked a question about gasket fitment and did not get an answer to that question. I didn't ask for moral guidance. I only use synthetic filters in my vehicles, including mowers, and would never go on a forum telling others they are wrong for choosing a paper-element filter like the OEM Kawasaki filter. The only critique I offered was to the replier who stated that all Fram filters were junk, which is not true. Calling him out is not attacking him, and some research will bear out that point.

Most the the techs and pros on this site will recommend using the engine maker brand, especially while in the warranty period. In my opinion you can do what ever you attitude tells you to, but don’t badmouth the people on this site who are trying to help you by answering your questions.

Again, I only called out the replier who made the blanket claim about Fram. Whether the Fram Ultra measures up to his standards wasn't part of my inquiry. I simply thought someone had used that Fram Ultra oil filter in their Hustler mower and could provide feedback on fitment. I didn't ask for moral guidance but do listen to what others say, like Kremeneon who gave some useful info on Wix filters on a thread from last fall. I will probably return the Fram Ultra and patronize my local O'Reilly's store who carries Wix and are close by. Penny wise and pound foolish? Why buy a conventional Kawasaki paper filter for $16 at Lowe's when I can get a better synthetic filter at a more conveniently located store for $12? For my money I'll pick the latter, and it won't affect my warranty.