MZ 48 chute doesn't fully fold up

MushCreek

Threads
I recently bought a new Husqvarna MZ 48. I wanted to get the smaller size due to numerous tight areas around our property. But- the chute doesn't fold out of the way. It lifts up maybe 45 degrees and hits the fender on the right side. I know the larger mowers fully tilt up. If I can't lift mine up, it kind of defeats the purpose of getting a smaller mower. I'd like to carry it on a 5' trailer, but don't think it would fit with the chute down. If it weren't brand new, I'd just trim it. Any ideas?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
It kind of defeats the purpose to run with the chute up, so why not just take it off? And I modify things on new machines all the time. Heck my dealers modify things before they even go out the door sometimes. I see a lot of people just cut a hole to run a bungie cord through and find something to connect the other end too. Strangely enough though, some mowers actually discharge better with the chute down as long as the grass isn't so tall that it gets blocked running into the uncut grass. I'm sure you'll figure it out...

MushCreek

Threads
I'd like to be able to put the chute up to clear tight spots and load it on a trailer. I don't plan to mow with it up all the time. Just seems like a design flaw that you can't fold something up that was clearly intended to.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd like to be able to put the chute up to clear tight spots and load it on a trailer. I don't plan to mow with it up all the time. Just seems like a design flaw that you can't fold something up that was clearly intended to.

Understood. Bungie cord or other mod then. For the record I don't have chutes on either of my Z mowers because they need to come off to be able to put the baggers on. I discharge most of the time but keep the hopper on and need to be able to hook it up in case I do need to bag.

https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/26335-How-to-keep-your-discharge-chute-in-up-position

Last edited:

MushCreek

Threads
A bungee cord won't help; you can't lift it up far at all before it hits the 'fender' (sort of a matching fake gas tank). I think the only real solution will be to trim the chute enough to clear.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or...you could use this as an opportunity to buy an operator controlled discharge chute (OCDC) for your machine so that you can close off the discharge to keep clippings off the driveway and walks, out of the beds and for running between obstacles. Then just close to park and trailer it. This is the time to do it because you can tell the Mrs. (if there is one) that this is a necessary modification for your new mower...it's out of your control. :laughing:

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
https://grassflap.myshopify.com/

There are a variety of options from hand-operated mechanical, foot-operated mechanical and foot-operated electric. Be nice, wouldn't it? Of course it's not my money. :smile:

MushCreek

Threads
The link above doesn't have one for my machine, but I'm a tool maker by trade; I could make one. I'm just concerned about voiding any warranty.