Briggs 5HP IC Generator

Mkala

Threads
Hello :biggrin:

I just bought for cheap this old Briggs and Stratton 5HP flathead generator ! Gen head is a bosch unit, 2150W

Engine feature cast iron bore, double crankshaft bearings, oil guard.
Its a 132237 0363-01 engine, year 87. Was able to find both owner manual and part list on B&S web site.

If someone as good documentation about this particular engine, please post it. I have the general B&S L-Head engine doc, but some things seems specific to this 132200 serie.
Same for bosh generator, information welcome

Just tried the engine a few minutes, it's revving too high (3500-3600, should be 3000 here for 50 hertz) and was not able to adjust it, have to look how to do governors adjustments.
On the electrical side, voltage look strange, should be 230V but no load was 310V... way too high. Will check this later.

Otherwise, engine is in pretty nice looking condition (except a dent on recoil assembly and some scratches).
Compression seem low, but perhaps generator weight mitigate the sensation of compression. Have to check recoil too, sometimes it latch/does not rewind.
Already changed the oil and check oil guard, working fine. Oil was nasty... Air filter looks ok, prefilter to wash.

Some pics

IMG_1984_resized.jpg IMG_1991_resized.jpg IMG_1988_resized.jpg IMG_1987_resized.jpg IMG_1999_resized.jpg IMG_1990_resized.jpg

Last edited:

(Account Closed)

Threads
I believe, (especially from looking at the date plate) on the generator itself, "3000 is the min" for 50 HZ.
I take this to be 3,000 minimum for 50HZ

Most generators run at 3,600...

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put up some pics of the linkages on the bottom under the fuel tank.
There is a spring on the inner side that controls the rpms. It is @ 1 inch away from the oil drain plug.
Just bending the bracket lessening the spring's tension will lower the rpms.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a pic off the internet. Pretty much this spring.

The starter problem is a problem with the starter clutch, a spritz of wd-40 may fix it.

gov.png

(Account Closed)

Threads
Have to check recoil too, sometimes it latch/does not rewind.
. QUOTE]

Re the starter.

Two issues there, both easy fixes..

Pull the cover off. For the rope not fully re-winding, simply pull some rope outwards, then place another "loop" around where the rope coils up at. This will tighten up the re-coil spring beneath it. A touch of oil in the center (under the plastic) will also make spinning it easier and loosen up any rust.

For the starter NOT "catching". Stand the engine upwards so the pull starter is facing the ceiling. There's a squarish part that spins, and catches (when turned clockwise) in the middle.

Holding that piece in is a round "disc/plate" with a lip on the outside. Simply pry that plate up and off. You'll see (as I re-call) five ball bearings (not small). The squarish part in the middle will easily pull upwards off the shaft as well..

Over time, inside there gets gummed up, the balls stick, etc. Clean any goo out (Brake cleaner is fine) of everywhere and oil those parts up. A touch of grease on the crank shaft extension wouldn't hurt..

For re-assembly, put the center square piece back on the shaft, drop the bearings in each of the slots and tap that cover back on. Done.

*The way that works is when you pull the starter, one of the balls "catches" the outer part of the assembly and allows you to crank the engine. Once started, centrifugal force throws the balls outwards and they don't touch anything and mind their own business until you go to re-start the engine..

You can remove that entire unit and do the above procedure on the bench (regular thread), but it's not necessary and more time consuming...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
According to the service manual, your engine should run at 3600 RPM with no load. When you put a load on, your RPM should be a minimum of 3000 RPM when you have a hertz reading of 50. On generators it is more important to have the voltage and hertz within specs, than having a specific RPM. To get the unit within specs you must have a meter which will read both volts and hertz. This is how I adjust generators. Start the engine, put a load on the engine of about 50% unit rating, adjust the governor until I have a hertz reading of specs +/- 1 hertz and a voltage reading of specs +/- 5 volts. You must be very close to specs on both or you could burn out a equipment you are powering. This manual has the steps for adjusting your governor. See section 5, page 17, basic engine number 132200 generator. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ycG8wd0s3Z2Q2X00/view

Threads
Mkala............ Are you saying in Switzerland you need to be at 50 Hertz and not 60 Hertz ??????

In the states we have 60 for the norm.......... I do know in the UK and other places that the receptacles are different and tourists have to use adapters for their blow dryers and such............

Romore

Threads
230VAC 50Hz is the standard for most if not all of Europe. Odd to have a generator that is putting out less than 10 amps. Move the governor arm from the idle, throttle closed, to wide open position. Now loosen the clamp on the shaft and turn the shaft in the same direction as far as it will go and tighten the clamp. Now start the engine and bend the tang the spring is attached to until the engine reaches approximately 3150 rpm no load. That should allow it to reach 3,000 rpm with a 50% load.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mkala............ Are you saying in Switzerland you need to be at 50 Hertz and not 60 Hertz ??????

In the states we have 60 for the norm.......... I do know in the UK and other places that the receptacles are different and tourists have to use adapters for their blow dryers and such............

240 V x 50 Hz is standard power supply for the entire world except for 1 mob that refuses to do anything the same as the rest of the world.