Briggs 5HP IC Generator

Threads
Mkala ............... Congrats on getting your engine refreshed...... If I can get my hands on a engine like yours I'll make a video just for adjusting the governor system.......

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Mkala

Threads
Merci Boudreaux :smile:

It thanks to you and all the others sharing the knowledge here, on this forum, this really help ! I learned a lot and I'm more than happy to have one of these good old flat head in my little "small engine fleet" ;)

One last question, I have the air-filter retainer in plastic, like this : https://goo.gl/images/85yPRr
This is part 643A on the view : https://www.firedog.com/catalog/bri...299/132232-0363-01/mufflers-air-cleaners-fuel
I find this thing useless, the filter seem to seat better without it; perhaps I have not understood something ?

See you :cool:

Mkala

Threads
Received my small range (5-25Nm) 1/4" torque wrench, so now I am able to properly torque bolt like head and muffler :thumbsup:

Already have a 1/2" bigger (28-210Nm) one since a while, but it's more usefull for car than small engines.

IMG_20190306_200042_resized.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will find it very handy.
Mine spent more time in other club members garages than mine.
The shorter the handle the greater the feel and the lower the chance of stripping threads

Mkala

Threads
Yes it's nice small addition to my little toolbox !
It click quite well, especially over 10Nm. Under, you have to be careful, has torque is easily reach.

I think avoid stripping threads in aluminum blocks or broke bolt is worth it !

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Just be sure you don't drop the torque wrench or bang it around...
I have have one of those harbor freight 12 dollar torque wrench, never have broke a bolt or stripped one and none have loosened. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mkala

Threads
No worries, I take care of my engines and of my tools too! :smile:
Not pictured, but it comes with the plastic protection box to store it.
I always loose the tension on the spring and put it in it's the box, like my other one. This way it should last forever for my use.
It even comes with a calibration certificate (chinese one) and it is in 3% (max 5 advertised for the product) so better than my hand, even for this 30$ one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless you are working in critical regions like aerospace the actual numbers are not important.
Published torques are fro brand new bolts in a new clean hole or with a fresh nut.
Then there is wet & dry torques.
On a mower, 22 vs 24 vs 30 will make no difference.
What is important is all of the bolts are the same so when hot there is no "weak spot" where a leak can happen.
Even critical applications like con rod bolts +/- 25 % is no big deal.

Deflection wrenched read lower over time because the bar that bends slowly work hardens.
Mine is 40 years old and for laugh I got it tested at a tool shop promotion & it was 8% out ( low ).
The short 1/2" was 3% low, however the long ( 300 ft.lbs) wrench was a screaming 36% out.
The latter was a ratchet , spring loaded type & the tester simply said it was due to being left set to a high torque and spring loaded wrenches must be backed off to a zero reading when ever stored.
Despite being there to promote a brand of spring loaded wrenches, he admitted that deflection wrenches always read closer and spring wrenches required regular calibration, adjustments & spring replacement.

Mkala

Threads
Ha yes for small engines and all of my work they are even overkill - totally agree !
But it's nice to know all is corretly tight and as you say uniformly - quite important for gaskets.

Thanks for sharing you story, does not have wrenches that old, but one day I will test them with a luggage scale (easy to calculate Nm)