Is this a good price? Gravely ZT HD 52" Kohler

aviator148

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I spent a while at a local Gravely dear in Texas today. After some discussion I got a price of $4499 on a 2018 52" HD with a Kohler engine (I might have been able to get a similar deal on a Kawasaki but it would be $200 more). The final price with sales tax is $4870 with free delivery (this is a cash price). Is this a decent price on this mower? I think they are trying to clear out the remaining 2018 models.

I was also offered the seat isolation kit installed for $100 and the head light kit installed for $100. Is this a good price for each of these? Or even necessary?

I need to make a decision so any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never seen that mower but checked the specs and reviews a couple years ago when I was active on another forum. They seemed to be a good high end residential/low end commercial machine. I wouldn't try to beat the dealer up on that price, it's a fair price. Great deal, no. If I recall, they only have 1/2 inch deck height adjustment. You would want to confirm that, but I have a machine that only has 1/2 inch increments and at times it's less than ideal. The difference down low is significant. Functionally there's a big difference between cutting at 2.5 and 3.0 inches.

But I think you're taking the right route by buying a mower from a servicing dealer, even if it's a bit more than you'd pay ordering something online or getting it at a big box store. As far as the seat goes, definitely makes a difference and I'd recommend. The light is up to you but I think we all find ourselves out at dusk to finish mowing or having to park the machine after dark. I just use a strong headlamp and try to wrap up while I can still see properly, as I'm on other people's properties and it could be seen as negligent on my part to operate in poor lighting. Also if you're going to pull a cart with it for firewood or cleanups/gardening a light might be handy.

P.S. - Personally I'd shell out the extra $ for the Kawi engine, I always do and haven't regretted it. The Kawi engines on my Exmarks each have thousands of hours on them with no issues other than normal wear and tear. They're plain wearing out rather than failing.

pollishpickle

Threads
I have had both Kohler and Kawasakiand the Kohler would be the one I would go with

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Be aware that the 52" deck has an inherent vibration problem. It doesn't affect all 52" decks but there are enough with this problem that it cannot be ignored. A friend's is in the shop awaiting instructions from the factory.

I would take the Kawasaki engine over the Kohler.

Threads
Take a look at the ExMark mowers also......... They are in that price range and most all the lawn care guys down here in Louisiana use them.....

Kawi's come on them also...... Remember that Gravely / Ariens are built in the Husqvarna factory....... Not saying they are a cheapo mower at all.... They are good mowers, but my mind tells me X-Mark is the better deal.......

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
Check out the video about the Radius / Zero turn mowers..... I have ridden these before and I'll tell you the truth that there is no other smoother ride out there......

A lil more pricey than the other brands but well worth the money..... No headaches in the future or ***** aches cutting grass LOL.....

www.exmark.com

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Love my Exmark mowers. I think you would have to step up to the X series Radius to get a Kawasaki engine. The lower end machines now have proprietary engines on them manufactured by Loncin. The Quest series was updated in 2018 and now has the Hydro-Gear 2800 transmission instead of the 2100 EZT that it used to. Kind of odd deck sizes.

Threads
Love my Exmark mowers. I think you would have to step up to the X series Radius to get a Kawasaki engine. The lower end machines now have proprietary engines on them manufactured by Loncin. The Quest series was updated in 2018 and now has the Hydro-Gear 2800 transmission instead of the 2100 EZT that it used to. Kind of odd deck sizes.

I have never seen anything but Kawis and Command Pro Kohlers on the Exmarks down here...... I just got off the phone with my buddy that owns a Exmard dealership and he told me that Exmark makes their own engines for the lower end models......

Took me by surprise ~!~!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have never seen anything but Kawis and Command Pro Kohlers on the Exmarks down here...... I just got off the phone with my buddy that owns a Exmard dealership and he told me that Exmark makes their own engines for the lower end models......

Took me by surprise ~!~!

Yeah Toro too now. All reports I've seen indicate that they're good engines.