Project Farm: Ethanol vs Non-Ethanol fuel test

Threads
For many us the only option for ethanol-free gas is to buy it in cans, which I do, but only for my seldom-used hand-held equipment that tends to sit for a while between uses such as hedge trimmers, chain saws etc. I think I burned a total of 3 gallons this past season. Keep in mind that letting any fuel sitting in a carb for long periods of time can gum up your carb, but ethanol seems to degrade, corrode and damage more than just gum things up.

Daryl .............. what state are you in ???

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I bought a couple cans of canned fuel just to get the cans. They're mighty handy for trimmers, chainsaws, etc.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks but nope. Sadly thats mostly canned fuel listed. For pump fuel there is only 110 octane leaded race fuel and 100 octane unleaded race fuel, but that has 10% ethanol.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks but nope. Sadly thats mostly canned fuel listed. For pump fuel there is only 110 octane leaded race fuel and 100 octane unleaded race fuel, but that has 10% ethanol.

Looks like the Big Corn lobby has the CT legislature in its pocket.

If it was me, I'd get a fuel tank for my pickup and mosey over to Poughkeepsie and buy a summer's worth of uncontaminated fuel.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's because we exceed Federal air quality standards, mostly due to pollution blowing in on the prevailing westerly winds. So our fuel has to have oxygenating compounds added to reduce emissions. MTBE was the additive of choice but it caused widespread ground water contamination. So now it's ethanol that's added. I've way over simplified it but that's the basic story. I don't have issues with ethanol in my frequently used equipment. Its the stuff that sits for months. So I just use canned fuel in that equipment. I just bought my 3rd gallon for the season recently. So it's really not a significant expense or issue that I'm going to be hauling across state lines for...

tempforce

Forum Newbie
Threads
if you store ethanol laced fuel, add a little blue stabil in the fuel. if stabil isn't available add a little 2 stroke oil, marvel mystery oil or atf into the fuel. it will help prevent problems.

Mkala

Threads
It's because we exceed Federal air quality standards, mostly due to pollution blowing in on the prevailing westerly winds. So our fuel has to have oxygenating compounds added to reduce emissions. MTBE was the additive of choice but it caused widespread ground water contamination. So now it's ethanol that's added. I've way over simplified it but that's the basic story. I don't have issues with ethanol in my frequently used equipment. Its the stuff that sits for months. So I just use canned fuel in that equipment. I just bought my 3rd gallon for the season recently. So it's really not a significant expense or issue that I'm going to be hauling across state lines for...

Thanks for explanation ! At least it as a good purpose, because until now I just see ethanol as something to reduce millage and storage time of gas.