Engine Debris getting through Engine Debris cover

GSJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi
I have recently purchased a SCAG SFZ48-22KT and need some advice please. I only use the mower once a week for about 3 hours to mow our 5 acres. What I have noticed is there appears to be quite a bit of mower clippings building up on the debris cover of the engine and some clippings are getting through underneath the debris cover. Should i be concerned regarding this and if so what would you recommend i should do to limit these clippings getting through, thanks much appreciated.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Common problem with any mower I've operated with an exposed engine. I use my backpack blower to blow around and into the top of the engine after each use and pull the shrouds with every oil change to clear away any grass and debris. It can build up, block air flow and the ability of the engine to dissipate head and cause overheating. Not sure there's any way to prevent it.

Last edited:

(Account Closed)

Threads
Plus 1 ^^^.

I use an air compressor with both the engine idling and stopped (be careful when it's running obviously).

I'll blow it after every use (doesn't take a minute-walk behind, self propelled Snapper).

With the larger machines you probably should be blowing the deck, any build up as well.

Staying ahead of major build up is key.

*Last time I had the shroud off (13 year old engine), there was NO grass/junk build up. Just from keeping up after it..