Deck Width vs. Mower Width

dmenn

Threads
Hi - question regarding the width of the mowing deck versus the width of the entire mower. I've been looking at some 48" wide mower models and it appears that the deck is just barely wider than the entire mower. I've looked at other models with 52" or 54" decks and you can definitely tell they stick out a bit. I would think that you would want the width of the deck to stick out quite a bit so it would be easier to trim around mulch beds, fence posts, etc. Is this true, or not really much of a factor? If I get a 48" wide deck and it sticks out only a couple inches wider than the mower, is that good enough, or will I find myself running into things in order to get a close cut? I'd like to reduce mowing/trimming time to a minimum.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
It depends a bit what type of mower you're talking about, Walk-Behind, tractor or Zero-Turn rider because having a tight turning radius could be defeated partially by not having enough overhang on the trim side. But the only machines I've seen it as a significant issue is large-framed Z mowers with a 52 inch deck. You may have noticed that decks are usually offset a bit to the left (the trim side).

Bottom line - usually not a big deal.

dmenn

Threads
Thanks for the feedback Darryl G! I should've mentioned that this would be for a zero turn. I've decided to go down the zero turn path versus a tractor so I can get a great cut in a shorter amount of time.

Since I've never used one before, I'm looking for feedback from others that have done this so I don't make a rookie mistake and to ensure I'm considering all options when looking at the various zero turns offered in my area.