which tires?

Oldaarpy

Threads
With this big storm suppose to hit today I dred going out and having to plow. The Husqvarna snow plow is hard to use when it freezes up (wish I'd bought the dozer blade) but the tractor sliding trying to push the snow makes it worse. I have the Husqvarna Gt52XLSi with the locking differential so it will push snow, you just don't know where it's going to push it. So my question is, should I opt for ag tires, ribbed tires or chains to keep it going where I want it to go? Aarpy

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would opt for the chains. Ag tires are only good where they can get a bite of traction. On slick surfaces such as ice, they basically are racing slicks on a wet surface.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Totally agree with IL, but would add, I recommend a two link chain. This will give you a better bite than a four link or cross link chain.

Oldaarpy

Threads
Not to sound stupid....but I've never heard of two or four link chains. Being basically a city boy, a chain is a chain. BTW, I have weights and chains on the rear tires, even with the locking hub I need them on the hills we have. Thanks for the answers! Aarpy

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
A two link chain has a cross chain every two links of the side chains, and a four link chain has a cross link every four side links. So a 2 link has twice as many cross chains as a 4 link.

Oldaarpy

Threads
Thank you for that explanation. I guess I'll see what Tractor Supply has to offer. Aarpy

Oldaarpy

Threads
Found some cross link chains on line that will fit...however they all say knobby tires only. What's the deal with that?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Knobby tires are those with large tire lugs. Personally I would not put chains on lawn tractors with knobby tires, defeats most of the effectiveness of the chains. This site will explain the different types of chain, but I don’t know about prices. Start by finding the type and size of chain you want, then search for prices. https://www.tirechain.com/Garden-Tractor-Tire-Chains.htm

Oldaarpy

Threads
Yes, I know what knobbies are, I just don't understand why it would say "for knobby tires only".....thanks for the guide. Aarpy

4getgto

Threads
Chain's on a bar tire tend to go in between the threads. Guessing they figure they don't fit as well... I wouldn't worry as much as long you get them for sized tire.. JMO.....

On a side note I've seen guys put chains on the fronts to help the front end Sliding side ways.