Head bolt removal

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've been working a old (2005) briggs 4.5 horse engine on a poulan,
Hasn't run in at least 10 years. i pulled the head off to inspect the walls and clean any carbon off. cylinder looked good and got the piston cleaned up and cleaned the gasket surface.
I put the head back on, but since i didnt have torque specs, i just got them as tight as i could with my little wratchet.
I got the new air filter in and filled it up with new oil and fresh gas (its one with the plastic carb ontop of the gas tank) any way, i start pulling it over, and on the 3rd pull i hear "Snap!", i pulled it over slow once more no noises.
It turned out the bottom left head bolt snapped off!

So now i get to remove a broken head bolt, which is something i have never done or had too do before, any advice appreciated.
I will try to upload some pictures.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you remove the head, if you're really lucky, the bolt will have sheared off above the surface with the threaded hole. In this case, you can just grab it with vice grips and remove.

If it broke off below flush, you've got to drill a hole in the bolt. It is best to use a Left Hand Cut, Left Hand Spiral drill. Many times, just drilling the hole with the LH drill will remove the bolt.

If it doesn't, then you have to get a screw extractor to remove the bolt, using the hole you just drilled.

If you feel this is over your head, take it to a machine shop.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Same information as above except I get a dremel tool and flatten the sheared face then using a Ball shaped bit make the starting point for the left hand drill.
Fitting it into an impact tool will work even better.
As you have just removed the bolts they should come out easy with a LH drill.
Don't care if ou do not have a set, go out & buy one.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Got it out!
It broke right where it goes into the block,flush, but it left a little peak and grabbed it with my needle nose vice grips and backed it right out!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Got it out!
It broke right where it goes into the block,flush, but it left a little peak and grabbed it with my needle nose vice grips and backed it right out!

Inch pounds not foot pounds for torque.

Ormond

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs info says 144 inch lbs which is 12 ft. lbs. This is not very tight. I would recommend changing all of the bolts as I think you over stretched them and now they are prone to breakage.

Threads
Briggs info says 144 inch lbs which is 12 ft. lbs. This is not very tight. I would recommend changing all of the bolts as I think you over stretched them and now they are prone to breakage.

140 in pounds to be exact....

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

Problem is when they broke, I wasn't using my torque wrench, just my little
Ratchet, I'd bet my life they weren't 140 in.lbs. When the two broke.
I ordered new ones from Jacks 5 days ago, on back order.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I finally got my head bolts in the mail. Cancelled my order from Jacks. taking so dang long. ordered from them from parts tree monday, got them today.
slapped them on, and fire it up. Sounds good, and runs good. cuts well too.
Then i did some Trademark Taryl Hootin N' Hollerin!! lol :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: