CV13S Mystery Part 1

dfbroxy

Threads
Working on a kohler engine, my first one, that will only turn one rotation in either direction before coming to a hard stop. Pulled engine and oil pan, also valve cover and rocker arms, but found no damage, plan on pulling the head tomorrow unless Im going in the wrong direction. What do you guys that know kohlers think the problem is? And while Im here, I looked at parts diagram and did not see a oil pan gasket and there wasnt one on the engine. Does that mean I use form a gasket? What type?

dfbroxy

Threads
Thanks for replying. No, it will only rotate approx 1 turn with sump off. Is it possible one of the lifters is broke and if so are they accessed by removing the camshaft?

Threads
Thanks for replying. No, it will only rotate approx 1 turn with sump off. Is it possible one of the lifters is broke and if so are they accessed by removing the camshaft?

I forgot to add another reply earlier ...... I was thinking that a plug came apart and something is in the cylinder stopping the piston to go all the way to TDC ....... If that happens then the crank can't go full over and come back down again to go back up for another stroke whether it be the compression stroke ETC ETC ....

There is definitely something blocking the piston ...........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
One more thing to your question on the lifters / tappets....... Yes you can take the cam out and remove the lifters....

I do it all the time on Briggs engines..... Line up the timing marks so the valves are closed... That way there's no pressure on them ................

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This engine has hydraulic lifters, so unless you have mechanical experience (or just figure you can get it back together) I wouldn’t remove the cam. There is no sump gasket, us a good RTV sealant when reassembling. What did you find when you pulled the head? This manual might be of some help. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Ko...13-CV14-CV15-CV16-CV460-CV465-CV490-CV495.pdf

When you post back, please include the engines spec number.

dfbroxy

Threads
Once again thanks for the response. You are two of the experts I was hoping would respond. So here are todays answers to the mystery. Engine Spec is 21525. When I pulled the head there was so much rust and corrosion it was stopping the piston from traveling more than half way. Cleaned the gunk and used a hone to smooth out cylinder.(needs to be honed anyway) Oiled and removed piston to check condition of rings. Bad news, they are toast. More bad news is that I havent found any online new for less that $75. What are my options? The engine seems to be well built. Much better than new ones. I could pay the money, and whatever else and keep it myself. Or keep the frame and wait for another to come around to repower. Frame is in excellent condition minus the hood. Or part it out over the next year to try to get my $100 back. Opinions?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I cant believe the rings are so expensive.
I did find a set of Oversize rings for 45 bucks.

dfbroxy

Threads
Ok here is another question. Are the internal parts from a cv15s interchangeable with mine? Found one close by on a poulen missing a carb and trans trashed. Motor was running before carb was sold. Price is very cheap. Was thinking of putting my crankshaft and carb on it so it would run on my deere.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Measure the piston & bore then order then from Total Seal or Perfect Circle should be around $ 25
However they need the bore, piston diameter width of the ring groves & depth of the ring grooves.
A kohler anything to them would be speaking Chinese/