Need an ignition coil for Toro 22035 walk behind

mxw1

Threads
Hi,

I have an old Toro Commercial ( older than 1991 ) got it used from a landscaper, that I've had about 15-20 years and I'm real happy with it. It's about 5 hp., Self propelled without blade brake.
It runs fine as long as I don't shut it off. I can cut my entire lawn, runs fine. If I do shut it off, it will not start, there's no spark. I don't know if it uses points or electronic ignition.
I suspect the ignition coil is failing, it's easy enough to change, but when I look for the Toro replacement part it cost well over $200. (Toro part # 81-2820)
I'm too cheap to spend that much.
I've looked on Amazon and there are all kinds of small engine coils with pictures for $10-$25 but I haven't seen one that looks exactly what my old one looks like.

I'm not afraid to buy one and try it, put it needs to fit and these sites don't list any dimensions.
Can anyone cross reference the number or suggest a universal replacement that might work?
Thanks, Mike

Threads
Hey Mike ...................... It sounds like your coil is good, No points on yours, too new............

If your coil would be bad it would die after using it for a while.... Your brake / kill cable might be sticking and not disengaging the kill switch........... Try engaging the lever then with your other hand get a lil more travel on it.....

Let us know the brand name of the engine and the model number.....

Let us know how it comes out Mon Ami ~!~!

Russ2251

Threads
Pretty sure that is a Suzuki 2 cycle.
One of the best 2 cycle mower engines out there.
Don't cheap out on it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don’t post a serial number, but I agree, it’s probably a 2 stroke Suzuki. Sounds to me like you do have a coil going bad, hot short or open caused by residual heat when you shut down. These engines are “mules” you just need to treat them nice and they’ll run forever. Parts are expensive and you won’t find a crossover replacement. If you don’t want to bite the bullet I would go to all dealers in your area and see if someone has a used part laying around.

mxw1

Threads
It is a 2-stroke engine; not sure who manufactured it, I don't see any brand logo. Where is there a marking and or serial number?
I've heard good things about these mowers and I really like it.

Thanks for the replies to my post.

It is not the kill switch; I can see that it only makes contact below the idle speed position.
I really think it's "heat soak" caused since it sits right above the cylinder.

I'm still willing to listen if someone knows of a low cost replacement new or used.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Serial number is located on the same black and silver tag where you found the model number. Very seldom do these engines have numbers on them, parts need to be located under the Toro numbers. Your options are limited as you need a coil, either purchase a new one or scour the repair shops or internet for a used one. Your part number is probably correct, but I can double check if you provide the serial number.

mxw1

Threads
I just found a used one on E-Bay for about $50. Buyer told me he guarantees it and will return my money if it doesn't work after it's hot...
It should be here Jan 22nd, I will report the results to the forum to let everyone know if this fixed it or not. These forums are a great learning tool.
Thanks for your participation.

Mike

mxw1

Threads
Serial number is located on the same black and silver tag where you found the model number. Very seldom do these engines have numbers on them, parts need to be located under the Toro numbers. Your options are limited as you need a coil, either purchase a new one or scour the repair shops or internet for a used one. Your part number is probably correct, but I can double check if you provide the serial number.

I found a number on the engine under the sheet metal shroud near the outside edge of the flywheel; Toro KDC 2S (or 25) XX695
Is this the serial number?

Thanks,

Mike

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The serial number I need is on the deck, same tag as the model number.