first zero turn. Looking at gravely zt xl 42/Ariens ikon xl 42

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / first zero turn. Looking at gravely zt xl 42/Ariens ikon xl 42
Ruts: Sometimes it's not enough to just alternate patterns, you need to move over a bit too, even if it's just a few inches. This goes for both the main mowing rows and the "cut-in" around the edges.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agree 100%....

mikeroc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just came across a used 2011 scag freedom z 36 with 307 hours on it. Smaller machine a little heavier 3100 hydro's. I don't have the specs handy. Does any one have a feel for the value of this machine? I'm not sure what this machine cost new $4,200? Thanks

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just came across a used 2011 scag freedom z 36 with 307 hours on it. Smaller machine a little heavier 3100 hydro's. I don't have the specs handy. Does any one have a feel for the value of this machine? I'm not sure what this machine cost new $4,200? Thanks

Without any way to evaluate that particular mower and its condition, the value could be anywhere from scrap value to perhaps $2750. I think MSRP was around $4500 and they could be bought as low as $4000 for leftover units, which isn't uncommon because they are usually used only as small "gate machines", at least by professionals. So there isn't a lot of demand for them and they don't tend to get used much. It's common to see 36 inch zero-turn, walk-behind and stand-on mowers that are several years old with low hours for sale. They seem like a good idea at the time over using a 21 inch mower, but the amount of space they take on the trailer and in the shop often isn't worth it for the amount of use they get.

With that said, for a half acre residential lawn, it might be a good purchase. Honestly, there are plenty of other options for a lawn that size and a zero-turn mower wouldn't be at the top of my list. But if that's what you want, that machine is a viable option for sure.

Expect the machine to have poor traction and stability...it's not something I'd want to operate on slopes.

mikeroc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. You have valid points with the space to store it. 28x28 garage with boat, log splitter etc. etc. Oh am I suppose to fit a car in my garage.... Anyhow I will look at this used scag tonight hopefully run it maybe start at 2k if it looks and runs good. Not thrilled with used stuff unless priced right. I probably wouldn't even bother except for the low hours on it. If the zt doesn't work out for my lawn for whatever reason I can sell it..