New 52" Raptor

iclick

Threads
I've been using a 50" Sears ZT-7000 to cut my 1-acre lot for the past 12 years and it has served well. Besides minor repairs like deck wheels coming off I've only had to replace the voltage regulator and center spindle assembly. The Briggs IC motor has been faultless, except for the VR which was an easy fix, but the plastic engine cover has disintegrated and replacements are ridiculously expensive. Instead of a new cover I've jury-rigged it with glue and brackets that have been holding for the past few years. It looks terrible but works, as I'm more into function than beauty.

Anyway, last Sunday I bought a 52" Raptor after stumbling upon a clearance sale at Lowe's. With my military and CC discounts I got it for $2175 plus tax, which has to be a real bargain. I've been looking at Toro and Gravely, but hadn't found the right deal and was waiting for spring when the sales pop up. Either way I was expecting to pay $800-1500 more for a ZTR of this size even when on sale. They only had one at my local Lowe's and a few more in outlying areas, so I grabbed it while the getting was good.

It seems well made and I've already ordered a cheap voltmeter and Husqvarna hour meter for it based on tips and reviews here. My yard is not particularly smooth and I think the spring-loaded seat will be an improvement, as my previous riding mowers had no suspension at all. I removed the chute on my previous mowers but am reluctant to do so with the Raptor since the opening exposes the blade and poses a safety concern. Will leave it on mine for the time being and will try to make do by attaching a bungee to pull it up when needed.

Haven't even cranked mine yet, as the yard is too soggy after repeated rain events here to test the new mower, but I'm looking forward to the experience. I would post a photo but it looks like every other 52" Raptor out there, I'm sure, and you all know what they look like.

kraky

Threads
I think everybody will agree that you done good! If for any reason you don't like it after a year or two you should certainly be able to get out of it without too much Financial pain....lol!

iclick

Threads
I cranked her up for the first time today and ran it down the street a bit, activated the deck, generally checking it out. The left drive lever was ~4" forward of the right one, which was a simple adjustment. The seat is much lower and levers further back than the Craftsman, but the seat is fine and the levers can be adjusted forward if necessary. The seat has more padding and the springs make the ride better. Installed the hour meter and solar Battery Tender cables the other day, so I'm ready to roll. Too bad there won't be any grass to cut for another two months.

mhavanti

Threads
iclick,

You're going to be in love once you do begin finding grass to cut. You must be in the upper portion of Lower Arkansas if you can't find green grass at the moment?

There are plenty of things you can be doing to make your little Raptor more efficient if you want to make it easier to maintain such as the belt cover exhaust ports, a power socket to operate various 12 volt sprayers, fans, etc. I just installed one for video purposes. Unlike yourself, a lot of the folks coming here have no idea 'how to' and thus you may be another of us that will be helpful to them.

I located the first of two behind the dashboard on the outboard side of the fender along with a lighted LED switch in order to turn off and on the sprayer rig more easily.

I really believe you're going to love the HR more than even you think.

Drop by MaxsGarajMahal to get a look at my ole RSD60 if you get anywhere near Little Rock, AR.

Max

P.S. There is a Hustler Enthusiasts Group over in Facebook with some factory collaboration in the group. We've worked hard to get them on board to be a part of your feedback. The other members will welcome you. See you there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BigDogandHustlerTurfEquipmentEnthusiasts/

Last edited:

iclick

Threads
You're going to be in love once you do begin finding grass to cut. You must be in the upper portion of Lower Arkansas if you can't find green grass at the moment?

No, S. LA actually. Lawn is St. Augustine and it's brown and dormant at this time of the year. In mid-March the weeds will pop up en masse and I'll do my first cutting event about then. By April it'll be time to start cutting every week and on 'til about late October when things slow down. I do a mulching run about this time every year, done recently with the old Craftsman, rather than hassle with raking leaves.

What I like about the Raptor is low maintenance, as the Craftsman required quite a bit of lubrication that I did once per year (about every 20 hours)--more Zerks and open lubing with motor oil, the latter of which just attracted debris and caused lots of clutter in mechanical areas like the drive lever joints. The Raptor doesn't require any open lubing of those areas so I'm hopeful it'll stay cleaner and easier to blow off after each mowing.

There are plenty of things you can be doing to make your little Raptor more efficient if you want to make it easier to maintain such as the belt cover....

I may cut some 1¼" holes in the belt cover ends to allow blowing out with the blow drier for the car, which has a strong force and works well for blowing off the mower. It's nozzle is a bit over 1" in diameter at the end, so I could just stick it in the cut holes and blow out what's under the cover.

...exhaust ports...

Haven't heard about this mod yet.

...a power socket to operate various 12 volt sprayers, fans, etc.

I don't do any spraying, so I likely won't be adding any electrical attachments like extra lighting, etc. Fans? How do you attach one to the mower where it'll work well? I could easily rig a connector to my Battery Tender cable.

I really believe you're going to love the HR more than even you think.

I rode it down the street yesterday for the first time, about 0.1 hrs. worth. The yard is too soggy for the mower right now after lots of recent rain. Kaw engine is smooth and quieter than the B&S in the old mower. The ride is better thanks to the sprung seat, as the oldie seat was bolted directly to the frame with no buffering the ride at all except for the tires.

P.S. There is a Hustler Enthusiasts Group over in Facebook....

I'm not active on FB but have an account and will check out the group over there. Thanks for the input.

iclick

Threads
The forum doesn't seem to want me to edit my last post, so I'll start another one for a second thought. The deck on the Raptor doesn't seem easy to remove like the Craftsman was, which was a matter of releasing the belt, pulling one rod, and sliding it forward. The manual doesn't even mention how to do it. I do have a mower/ATV jack and haven't been pulling the deck for maintenance lately, so I doubt if I'll need to remove the deck unless something like the spindles need service, but that won't be for another three years since it'll be in warranty and I won't be doing the work.

mhavanti

Threads
I can't imagine the need to remove your deck unless you're replacing the middle spindle for some reason. That should be many years down the rode. Just lift it to clean it out once in a while if you mow wet.

I'm made quite a few videos on modifying and upgrading your Raptor. Inch and a quarter holes in your belt guard will weaken the cover. Maximum hole size should be 1 1/8" diameter in order to retain the integrity of the ends of both covers. I'll give you the link for that video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzU4xXrKL54

If you have any ideas you might like to see done with the Raptor series, let me know. I have many more modifications and upgrades on the table to do in the future you may enjoy. Stay tuned.

If it helps, hope you'll subscribe, hit the like and notification buttons so that others will see it. Please share as well.

Enjoy that new Raptor, it will serve you well.

Max

iclick

Threads
I can't imagine the need to remove your deck unless you're replacing the middle spindle for some reason. That should be many years down the rode. Just lift it to clean it out once in a while if you mow wet.

Before I bought the jack I would remove the deck of my old Craftsman (Simplicity) to clean it, sharpen the blades, etc.--but the jack eliminated that need except when I had to replace the center spindle assembly last year. Easy deck removal isn't a big downside now.

Inch and a quarter holes in your belt guard will weaken the cover. Maximum hole size should be 1 1/8" diameter in order to retain the integrity of the ends of both covers.

That size is big enough to insert my blower, barely. Watched your video and it cleared up some questions.

If you have any ideas you might like to see done with the Raptor series, let me know. I have many more modifications and upgrades on the table to do in the future you may enjoy. Stay tuned.

The fan idea piques my interest, as it would be easy to wire up given I have a BT cable already installed. Not sure where I'd mount the fan, though.

Just checked the deck alignment and it was off about ¼" left and right as well as front to rear. The left-right cam adjustment is a hassle, but I got it all lined up.

mhavanti

Threads
Glad to year you're all set for the first cut. Temp has fallen 22 degrees since 10 am here in Mid-Arkansas. Didn't go into the Garaj Mahal today. Been getting some of the upcoming video information together. Would rather be doing the physical stuff though.

Keep watching and you'll find a few other things you're going to want to do.

Max

iclick

Threads
Glad to year you're all set for the first cut. Temp has fallen 22 degrees since 10 am here in Mid-Arkansas.

The same cold front is passing through here now. It was 68° today but will drop to near freezing tonight.