New 52" Raptor

iclick

Threads
You'll be happy you did. Just don't install them until you've given them a few coats of Marigold Yellow from Rustoleum.

Where did you get the Rustoleum Marigold Yellow? Checked at Lowe's today and all they had that was close was Sunglow Yellow.

mhavanti

Threads
You can pick it up at Wal-Mart or pretty much any store that carries Rustoleum rattle cans.

iclick

Threads
In case anyone is interested, the Raptor is on clearance sale again at Lowe's for $2499 until 03/13/19. It apparently applies only to in-stock mowers and can't be ordered. They also show the Raptor for $3099 in another listing, but I assume it is the 2019 model. The only differences I can see is that the 2019 model has a foot pedal instead of a hand lever to adjust mower deck height and the seat is different. Also, unlike the clearance model the 2019 seat doesn't appear to have any armrests, which may be an option at ~$100.

I'll probably leave the Flex Forks black, but in case I change my mind is one 12-oz. can enough to paint them using several coats?

Last edited:

Kremeneon

Threads
I'll probably leave the Flex Forks black, but in case I change my mind is one 12-oz. can enough to paint them using several coats?

Probably, but I don't know how you use paint...

iclick

Threads
Haven't had a chance to test the new seat suspension and Flex Forks until today, too wet. I can report a much nicer ride with those two items added, but although I installed them together I can say the seat suspension from Seatwarehouse.com is the most noticeable improvement. I had to readjust my deck after running the FFs for about 45 min., but not much. I'm running 3" front, 2 5/8" rear on deck height, which should be about right for St. Augustine and about where I had it on my old Craftsman.

Had a minor set-back early on today. Right after cranking the mower, getting off, then sitting back down rather firmly the engine quit. I suspected the seat switch connector had come loose since it was immediately after sitting down, but electrical power was out throughout. Checked the 15A fuse on the battery and it was blown, so I think the switch extension cable connectors touched the frame when I sat down. After adding the extension cable when installing the seat suspension there was some exposure at the connector so I added some insulation, re-routed the cable, and wire-tied it to the seat frame. Had no more trouble with it today and I think that issue is solved.

mhavanti

Threads
More than likely you are correct the bare connection was the culprit. I will have to make a video for you on how to paint.

iclick

Threads
Don't mind the black paint on the Flex Forks, so I won't be painting. Happy with the functional result, though, and looking forward to my next mowing adventure, if it will just stop raining for a few days.

One question: When I choke it I pull the lever all the way out, but when it starts when cold it always dies immediately. Starting again with no choke gets it going, so should I start it with the choke lever pulled halfway out or try to adjust the full choke setting so it won't stall?

mhavanti

Threads
Kawasaki engines will flood very easily. The choke cable location relative to the ignition switch is not ergonomic and makes it quite difficult to get the choke turned off quickly enough. So, only choke it enough to cut back on the oxygen enough to enrich the fuel air mixture no longer than it requires to remain running.

And, bite your tongue on the black forks. You'll lose friends and make enemies with that kind of babbling! lol. Joke

I made an ergonomic dash that fixed the ignition, choke, throttle, clutch and light switches much more accessible and all you do is turn the ignition switch with the choke up while the engine is bone cold, rocking the side of your hand to the right opens the choke (pushes the choke cable knob down) all in one smooth movement. A fantastic upgrade.

Will be available to customers in the not too distant future.

Have fun with the mower.

Max

cruzenmike

Threads
Here is the exact starting procedure for your mower:

The following steps are the correct procedures for starting
the engine. If difficulty is encountered, contact the Hustler®
Dealer in your area.
1. Before starting mower each day, perform daily preoperation checking. (See Safety Start Interlock System
section.)
2. Make sure the steering control levers are in the park
brake position and deck clutch switch is disengaged.
Only start the engine from the operator’s position.
3. Use the choke, if the unit is equipped with one, when
engine is cold, or if warm engine fails to start within 5
seconds of cranking. Avoid flooding and operate
engine without choking as soon as possible.
4. Set throttle at approximately 1/2 open position.
5. Insert key in ignition switch and rotate full clockwise
to engage starting motor. Release key when engine
starts.
IMPORTANT: The engine starter should not be operated for periods longer than 30 seconds at a time. An
interval of at least two minutes should be allowed
between such cranking periods to protect the starter
from overheating and burn-out.
6. Perform test to make sure safety start interlock system is operating properly. Refer to Safety Start Interlock System section.
7. Allow the engine to idle a few minutes before advancing the throttle and/or engaging the deck clutch.

It sounds as if you should always try starting with the throttle at half and if it is at all warm, you could try without the choke.