New 52" Raptor

iclick

Threads
My new Raptor made its maiden voyage today making a full mowing run on my 1-acre yard, and I have a few observations comparing it to the old Craftsman:

• Ride is better thanks to spring-loaded seat. Old mower had no suspension of any kind, so it was like riding a bronco. Might go with flex forks and/or a seat suspension kit, though, since my yard seems to get rougher every year. Or, maybe I just get softer every year.
  • Not as fast in reverse as forward. My old Craftsman would go full speed in reverse, which was good when I wanted to blow off the driveway in one direction--forward up the driveway, reverse back down blowing debris in the same direction. This is probably by design as a feature to protect me from myself.
  • Both engine and deck noise is much lower, but maybe it's not fair comparing a new mower to a 12-YO.
  • Grass chute didn't get in the way like I expected, so I may leave it attached. I removed it from my old mower on the first day.
Overall, I'm impressed. If it just proves to be as reliable as the old Craftsman I'll have a winner.

mhavanti

Threads

iclick

Threads

mhavanti

Threads
That is the slider handle. Go with that kit and you'll have the correct one from the get go.

I chose to purchase the seat and slider kit separately in order to save about 35 bucks total. Go with this one and be done with it.

Max

clubairth

Threads
Yes I installed that exact unit on my SD54 and it's well worth the money. The stock seat seems to be pretty good and replacing that is very expensive.
I did not want to spend that much but since it also turns the seat into an adjustable one you do get several things for your money.

Count me as a satisfied customer. After all you won't wear it out!

cruzenmike

Threads
My new Raptor made its maiden voyage today making a full mowing run on my 1-acre yard, and I have a few observations comparing it to the old Craftsman:

• Ride is better thanks to spring-loaded seat. Old mower had no suspension of any kind, so it was like riding a bronco. Might go with flex forks and/or a seat suspension kit, though, since my yard seems to get rougher every year. Or, maybe I just get softer every year.
  • Not as fast in reverse as forward. My old Craftsman would go full speed in reverse, which was good when I wanted to blow off the driveway in one direction--forward up the driveway, reverse back down blowing debris in the same direction. This is probably by design as a feature to protect me from myself.
  • Both engine and deck noise is much lower, but maybe it's not fair comparing a new mower to a 12-YO.
  • Grass chute didn't get in the way like I expected, so I may leave it attached. I removed it from my old mower on the first day.
Overall, I'm impressed. If it just proves to be as reliable as the old Craftsman I'll have a winner.

Glad to hear that things are going as you expected. Be sure to read through the entire manual for the machine. If you don't have a paper copy it can be downloaded from Hustler Turf's website. Pay special attention to the maintenance section which I believe covers how to adjust the tracking of the hydrostatics if you every notice that it does't want to drive straight with the bars both pushed forward. Also, be sure to clean the bottom side of the deck off often to keep the air flowing under there. Many Raptor users have complained about discharge on the deck, so the best thing you can do is to mow when the grass is as dry as possible, keep the deck clean and keep the blades sharp. Other than keeping it maintained you should have a nice machine that lasts you a while!

iclick

Threads
Thanks for all the input. Ordered the seat suspension kit tonight, but will hold off on the flex forks until I test the seat kit installed. It may be enough, as the stock ride is acceptable. Feedback on it seems generally better than the flex forks, which are pricey.

mhavanti

Threads
Good luck with the seat kit. I believe you'll enjoy it.

iclick

Threads
Went ahead and ordered the flex forks, too. What the heck, $200 + tax at Lowe's with my discounts.

mhavanti

Threads
You'll be happy you did. Just don't install them until you've given them a few coats of Marigold Yellow from Rustoleum. Black flex forks are some kind of insulting ugly on your pretty new Hustler. lol

My Flex Forks Preparation video will give you an idea of how much better the mower will appear with the semi-color matched forks. It is a two part video so watch them both. Maybe they will give you an idea or two. Also, don't forget to join the Hustler Owner Group in Failbook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/HustlerMowerOwners/

Enjoy the new mower and never forget my motto: Run it like you stole it, fix it if you break it. Or, maybe it was keep it clean and serviced. Its one of those anyway.

Max

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiMOsUJ168o&t=4s